New Gall for VC58?

An area for archived forum posts
johnmcgaw

New Gall for VC58?

Post by johnmcgaw »

While out recently looking at plant galls on trees in Royden Park, Wirral, I noticed some of the lateral buds on a Sessile Oak (Quercus petraea) twig appeared to be swollen, light green in colour and were not completely covered in bud scales. Suspecting the presence of a gall I consulted the excellent AIDGAP British Plant Galls identification keys and tentatively identified the gall causer as a species of gall wasp, Andricus glandulae. This gall is caused by the all-female (agamic) wasp generation.

As this gall is listed as being rare I obtained verification from Peter Shirley of the British Plant Gall Society. A species search in rECOrd showed no records to date in VC58 so I will enter full details in RODIS post haste!

Many gall wasps have complex life cycles which can include two generations producing different galls either on different host plants or on different parts of the same host. The next generation gall for this species of wasp (males and females) can be found on oak catkins next year so I will keep an eye out on the same trees to hopefully complete the 'cycle'.

I believe the common name for this specimen to be the 'Thatched Gall' due presumably to the covering of long white silky hairs. Photo hopefully attached - length of gall ~5-6mm - one to look out for but you need to look very carefully at the lateral buds on Quercus robur or Q. petraea to spot it. I must admit I am getting hooked on gall hunting although like most recording activities it attracts strange looks from passers by and their dogs!

John

Attachments
Andricus glandulae (agamic) Gall
Andricus glandulae (agamic) Gall
SteveMcBill

Re: New Gall for VC58?

Post by SteveMcBill »

Excellent news John. Well done on finding a new species for Cheshire (Vice-County 58).

Gall spotting (just like leaf-miner spotting) can be very addictive !!! Just be careful it doesn't take you away from identifying all those Spiders in Cheshire !!!!

Steve
P.S.: Superb photo by the way John - what equipment are you using these days ?
johnmcgaw

Re: New Gall for VC58?

Post by johnmcgaw »

Steve

Just used a Fuji FinePix S7000 camera with super-macro setting and a steady hand! Cropped the image later on the computer.

Cheers
John