Bat detecting - help needed

An area for archived forum posts
fletcher

Bat detecting - help needed

Post by fletcher »

Hello all, I had my first go with a bat detector tonight and I have to be honest it was amazing, the few individuals that were out were flying all around me and were fascinating.

The only downside to the experience was my complete inability to id what I was listening to. The detector was picking them up at 35khz (seemed to be the best reception), but how reliable is this? Are there any tips on how to get these individuals id'd?

I was just outside Wrexham, beside a train line with good hedged areas and a bridge (Used as a roost site, I think).

I am led to believe that Serotine use this frequency, but I am unsure as to their distribution, but I understand they are in the Wrexham area.

Any help on an id and tips on bat detecting would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric
anno

Re: Bat detecting - help needed

Post by anno »

It is difficult when you first start but you do get used to sounds and frequencies - I would recommend the 'Bat Detective pack' - Alana normally do it for about £20 - it comes with full instructions and a CD of recordings and takes you through the various species and sonograms.

P.S.: The CD will get you some comments if you listen to it without earphones - Shelly accused me of buying a 'Tangerine Dream' box set from Ebay again !! :D
anno

Post by anno »

At 35Hz you were probably picking up Social rather than feeding calls and these are very common frequencies for a lot of common species.

If they are Serotines (Eptesicus serotinus) - I need to visit that bridge! ( its the dormant Twitcher gene - you never lose it !)
fletcher

Post by fletcher »

Brilliant, cheers Anno.

I was out for a while and I only heard echolocation at that frequency. I also had a listen to the few samples I could find on the internet (although I do understand that this is fraught with miss-id's).

Having said that it did sound more like the sample being touted as a Serotine than anything else, but I only listened to what I assume was feeding calls on the web so perhaps that isn't anything to go on!

I really appreciate the help here Anno; just your reply has increased my woeful knowledge a great deal!

I'll get on to the bat detective pack now!

Cheers,

Eric