A Key to Non-Marine Mollusc Families

An area for archived forum posts
SteveMcBill

A Key to Non-Marine Mollusc Families

Post by SteveMcBill »

The Families of British Non-marine Molluscs (Slugs, Snails and Mussels)

The following web-page provides a key to the families of British Non-Marine Molluscs (Slugs and Snails):

http://delta-intkey.com/britmo/index.htm

Steve :)
bankst

Re: A Key to Non-Marine Mollusc Families

Post by bankst »

Hi Steve,

Somebody has dragged some old drain pipe out of the canal alongside the Brindley in Runcorn and left it on the bank. I don't know how long it's been in the water, but parts of it are encrusted with little mussels. I'm afraid I can't ID them from the key you posted, but here's a photo with dimensions.

I also recently noticed large numbers of very similar mussels on the sluice gates at the top of the Anderton Boat Lift. Obviously the gates are under water most of the time, but when they lift to let boats through, the mussels are plainly visible.

Cheers,
Tom.

Attachments
Mussel ???
Mussel ???
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Hi Tom,

Not easy from the picture but my guess here would be Zebra Mussel (Dreissena polymorpha). Andy Harmer has done quite a bit of work on the local canals and has found this invasive species to be widespread in our area. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_mussel

Many of the mussels have a distinctive zig-zag marking on the shell but not all do and those that do not can be dark in colouration (as per your photo). They do tend to be rather small though long-lived specimens can reach up to 2 inches in length (most do not). See here in the small article about them in Canada: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08/12 ... r-decades/

Interesting couple of records to put into RODIS - especially if you can get confirmation from Andy of the ID.

Cheers.

Steve

bankst

Post by bankst »

Thanks Steve, very interesting. Hopefully we can get a positive ID.

I haven't noticed any obvious anti-Zebra Mussel measures in place in the UK, but from your article, it certainly seems to be a hot topic in North America, as it is in Spain. I recently visited a reservoir in Extremadura, popular with weekend boaters, and where the Government has just constructed an elaborate boat-washing facility, specifically for the purpose of preventing the spread of Zebra Mussels, (according to the sign on the gate).
Never once saw it in use though!

Cheers,
Tom.

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

I agree with you Steve - Zebra.

Andy

Principal Ecologist
Andy Harmer Limited
bankst

Post by bankst »

Thanks Andy.

It's going on RODIS!

Tom

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

When you wrote "It" above Tom I hope you meant "They" ?? Runcorn and Anderton !!

Steve

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Thanks for putting the 'Runcorn' record for Zebra Mussel (Dreissena polymorpha) in Tom - can I request that you put the one in for 'Anderton' - assuming you know the date etc. ??

Thanks also for putting the Elephant Hawkmoth (Deilephila elpenor) larva in - appreciated !!

Steve

bankst

Post by bankst »

Steve,

On the ball! - I knew you'd notice that I'd only recorded the Runcorn Zebras. I can't remember the date for the Anderton record, so I'll check it tonight and post a photo of them tomorrow!

Cheers,
Tom.

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Thanks Tom.

Steve

bankst

Post by bankst »

Here are the Anderton Boat Lift Zebra Mussels, photographed on the 12th June 2014 (this year).

I wonder if repeated exposure to air, thanks to the constant opening and closing of the sluice gates, puts these individuals at a competitive disadvantage, compared to their neighbours adhering to fixed underwater structures . . . think I need to get a life, or maybe a Ph.D.

Tom.

Attachments
Zebra Mussels - Anderton Boat Lift - 12/06/2014
Zebra Mussels - Anderton Boat Lift - 12/06/2014