The next new Odonata species in Cheshire?

An area for archived forum posts
Davidk

The next new Odonata species in Cheshire?

Post by Davidk »

One of the things that has been most noticeable in recording Odonata in Cheshire over the past 25 years has been the steady increase in numbers of some scarcer species such as Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense) and the northward move of other species into the county for the first time as breeding species. These have included (in chronological order) Ruddy Darter (Sympetrum sanguineum), Emperor Dragonfly (Anax imperator), Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta), Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) and White-legged Damselfly (Platycnemis pennipes).

So , what is likely to be next? What is the most likely species to turn up in Cheshire? Lesser Emperor (Anax parthenope) has been recorded once on the borders of the county, Golden-ringed Dragonfly (Cordulegaster boltonii) has been seen in Cheshire along the Dee this year and was sighted on the river last year as well. This species could be expanding its range and it may be worthwhile watching the upland streams in East Cheshire in case adults appear there. Small Red-eyed Damselfly (Erythromma viridulum) is rapidly spreading across England since appearing in the south-east around ten years ago. It's already in the south midlands and Humberside and must surely appear in Cheshire in a few years, maybe sooner.

It is certainly well worth looking out for unusual dragonflies and damselflies as you never know what might be out there these days.

Any other suggestions as to what might be the next species for Cheshire?

Cheers,

David Kitching
joechester

Re: The next new Odonata species in Cheshire?

Post by joechester »

David I think you pretty well covered all options - had me checking the date of my guidebook (1997) to check coverage. I'll go for a total overshoot of the Blue-eyed hawker (Southern Migrant Hawker). Joe