More ID help please

An area for archived forum posts
Tom

More ID help please

Post by Tom »

This looked like a ruddy darter to me. I was struck by how bright the colour was and how orangey. It is actually in Spain rather than the UK, which makes want clarification on the identification if possible.

Tom.

Pond dragonfly.jpg
Pond dragonfly.jpg (59.84 KiB) Viewed 26030 times
Tom Hunt, Record Enquiries Officer
Davidk

Re: More ID help please

Post by Davidk »

It would help with the identification to have a larger image to view. Any chance you could upload something?
Tom

Post by Tom »

I might be able to get hold of a higher resolution version and zoom in a bit.
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Tom,

Most photos on the Forum are loaded at their 'full size' when you click on them in the message. However, for some reason, this one is not doing that so I suppose you did something different when you uploaded it to the Forum. Any ideas why it isn't loading at its full size ??

Steve
Tom

Post by Tom »

Not sure what's happened. I copied it from Facebook originally, then cropped it to remove an expanse of swimming pool. I've got another copy of it now, but it looks the same as the one from Facebook.

Below is what I believe to be the original, although I surprised it is only 1200 × 800 pixels.

Tom
Attachments
IMG_0454.jpg
Davidk

Post by Davidk »

That is not the same image as the one you first posted. Any chance of a larger version of the original one? The insect appears to have extensive orange colouring in the wings close to the body. This is not a feature of Sympetrum sanguineum. I am wondering whether this could be Trithemis kirbyi? However, it does not look quite red enough for that species.
Davidk

Post by Davidk »

After further thought I will definitely go for Trithemis kirbyi - Orange-winged Dropwing.