Zelotes latreillei?

An area for archived forum posts
anno

Zelotes latreillei?

Post by anno »

as a very amateur identifier when it comes to Spiders, i am wondering about cheshire distribution of Zelotes latreillei - so far internet searches have shown sketchy distribution at best - but I'm fairly certain i have one - its in a jar at home!

Could probably send pictures if required but - any ideas comments appreciated......

PS anybody worried I will 'release the beast' shortly!
SteveMcBill

Re: Zelotes latreillei?

Post by SteveMcBill »

Zelotes latreillei for Cheshire:

There are currently 12 records of Zelotes latreillei on the rECOrd database (see attached graphic screen-capture below) and these span from 1970 to 2003 - you can see this yourself by logging in to the site on the Home page (http://www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk) and then going to Records, Data Search Facility and searching for the species name (set the 'From date' to before 1900).

To give you something to compare against: the Red and White Spider (Enoplognatha ovata) which is common in the Cheshire area currently has 489 records on the rECOrd database (and should have a lot more). Many spiders are under-recorded in Cheshire.

At least 1 of those records is for South Lancashire and is not a Cheshire record.

I have also searched the NBN Gateway and currently that holds NO records of Zelotes lateillei for the Cheshire vice-county (58) - at least nothing at any better resolution than a 10Km square.

I would recommend that you make contact with the Cheshire County Spider Recorder (Mr John McGaw) who will, I am sure, be prepared to identify this specimen for you. His e-mail address is: jr_mcgaw@yahoo.com

Hope that helps.

Steve :)
Records for the spider: Zelotes latreillei as at 11/06/2009.<br />Click the above graphic to enlarge it and to read the text, this<br />is a screen-grab from the rECOrd website Data Search facility.
Records for the spider: Zelotes latreillei as at 11/06/2009.
Click the above graphic to enlarge it and to read the text, this
is a screen-grab from the rECOrd website Data Search facility.
anno

Post by anno »

cheers Steve thanks for reply - i will contact and get back if confirmed....
anno

Post by anno »

Got a reply from John McGaw - its a Scotophaeus blackwalli the 'Mouse Spider', commonly found on walls inside houses. :oops:

Tricky things spiders you know (I now think I've got a Philodromus aureolus) its the weather I think. :)