Help with ID (again) please

An area for archived forum posts
macchi

Help with ID (again) please

Post by macchi »

I found this spider in our garden last night and should be interested to know what it is please.
Attachments
Spider.jpg
SteveMcBill

Re: Help with ID (again) please

Post by SteveMcBill »

Help with ID (again) Please:

To me, the velvety black abdomen strongly suggests the Mouse Spider (Scotophaeus blackwalli). I think the colours in your photo are slightly 'false' (over lightened) due to a degree of over exposure which may have been confusing you.

Scotophaeus blackwalli is a synanthropic spider so is often found both in and around houses, in bathrooms, bedrooms, on house walls, etc. It is one of the few British spiders than can puncture a human's tough skin to inject its venom which can cause a degree of necrosis around the puncture wound.

A fairly common and widespread animal in the North West.

See here: http://www.insectimages.org/browse/subt ... ?sub=23179

Steve

macchi

Post by macchi »

Thank you Steve. Really interesting.

Alison
anno

Post by anno »

Mmmm, one bit me last year. I deserved it mind, prodding it about and asking it to perform for the camera. :)

Had the largest one I've seen last week doing the sneaky bedroom wall thing, noticed out the corner of my eye as I read my book sans glasses. They are great animals but it did get liberated outside, post haste.

The bite was a) painful and b) shocking, and you try to go to your GP and tell him - it swelled up and produced lots of puss (sorry)and it left a small scar. But I'm alright now.

(The last statement is open to debate I expect...)

P.S.: I have pictures if required :shock:

Anno