Reptile Records

An area for archived forum posts
PaulMartinHill

Reptile Records

Post by PaulMartinHill »

Reptile Records:

It is hoped that the Cheshire and Wirral Amphibian and Reptile Group (CWARG) will be relaunched soon. Once launched we hope to undertake more systematic recording of reptiles and amphibians in the county. For my part, I'd appreciate any reptile records that you may hold. These are best submitted by using RODIS (see http://www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk). In particular, are Adders really out there in Cheshire away from Risley Moss, and how common is the Slow Worm? All records of ALL amphibians and reptiles will be very gratefully received.

Cheers

Paul Hill
Cheshire County Reptile Recorder
RobS

Re: Reptile Records

Post by RobS »

To bring us up to date we need to know what is out there & clearly rECOrd is well placed to do this. Last time I logged on very little had been added to existing information on adders, slow worm or grass snake etc.
PaulMartinHill

Post by PaulMartinHill »

There are quite a few records currently waiting for validation (i.e. just need to be OK'ed). I'm hoping to sit down, trawl through the records, validate them and prepare some draft distribution maps in the next couple of weeks.

Regards

Paul
PaulMartinHill

Post by PaulMartinHill »

I've now validated all the outstanding reptile records on RODIS and once these have gone through the system (i.e. put on to Recorder-6 and then passed on to me), I can do some distribution maps to identify gaps.

Paul
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Excellent news Paul - thank you. I can't wait to see the maps !!

Cheers and thanks again.

Steve :)
SARG

Post by SARG »

If folks are interested, Surrey-ARG have developed a distribution model, which predicts suitable habitat, probable distribution and targets for habitat linkage, all derived from a pretty standard records dataset (species name, date of sighting, location of sighting).

Not surprisingly, the model becomes more accurate with better coverage data. We've been using the model, very successfully, to prioritise and target survey areas.

Example below:

(right-click, view image for better detail)

If interested drop me an email:
Steve Langham
Steve@surrey-arg.org.uk
http://www.surrey-arg.org.uk