Skipper ?

An area for archived forum posts
fletcher

Skipper ?

Post by fletcher »

Skipper ?

Hello All,

Could anyone help with this image (below) please?

I have looked and looked at this image and I am not convinced I am any nearer to an ID!

I think it is more like the Small Skipper Thymelicus sylvestris, but it seems a little on the large side. However there seems to be no chequering on the wings that I can see so from what I have read this rules out the large skipper Ochlodes sylvanus?!

Any pointers would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Eric

Attachments
Which Skipper ?
Which Skipper ?
davidtomlinson

Re: Skipper ?

Post by davidtomlinson »

It is definitely either a Small Skipper (Thymelicus sylvestris) or an Essex Skipper (Thymelicus lineola) and it is a female. You need to get a closeup of the undersides of the antennae to discriminate between the two - Small Skipper has brown/fawn under-tips, Essex Skippers are all black. Assuming it was photographed locally, then Small Skipper is the more likely, though Essex Skipper is moving north.

fletcher

Post by fletcher »

Thanks David. So can I ask, is it definitely the 'chequering' that I need to look for to distinguish between the Large and Small Skippers?

The photograph was taken on a small nature reserve outside Wrexham so I would guess Small Skipper (Thymelicus sylvestris), as you say, is more likely.

Thanks again for the ID assistance, it is very much appreciated.

Eric

davidtomlinson

Post by davidtomlinson »

Eric,

I suppose so, yes. Just look at the pics in a respectable text or google the relevant images. Female Small Skippers are devoid of wing markings. The males have the scent (supposed) scar on the upper wing. Certainly both sexes of Large Skippers have patterning on the forewing.

David