Rustic or Vine's Rustic

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
wirralbirder

Rustic or Vine's Rustic

Post by wirralbirder »

Rustic or Vine's Rustic:
Rustic or Vine's Rustic ???
Rustic or Vine's Rustic ???
Hi All,

Is this a pale form of Rustic or possibly the much rarer (in Cheshire) Vine's Rustic.
Needless to say Vine's Rustic would be a Cheshire first for me never mind a garden first.

Harry

[/color]
Greg

Re: Rustic or Vine's Rustic

Post by Greg »

Hi Harry,

You've already had a Vines Rustic on 11th June 2017, which was confirmed by Dave Grundy.
This one looks to me like a pale form of Square Spot Rustic, although I might be mistaken.

Greg

wirralbirder

Post by wirralbirder »

Hi Greg,

I hadn't realised that Dave Grundy had confirmed it. Nice to get a new garden tick as they are getting more and more difficult to get.

Cheers,
Harry

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Harry,

Another Vine's Rustic from the same site would suggest they are starting to colonise your part of the Wirral. It would be good to hear of anymore you catch. I suspect this species will become a verification problem for many recorders until they become familiar with it.

Regards,
Steve

Greg

Post by Greg »

Two Vine's Rustics in one year !

Nice one Harry.

Regards,
Greg

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Harry,

When did you trap this beast ?

If it's recently then it would be an indication that you've trapped them in during the flight periods of both broods.

Cheers,
Steve

wirralbirder

Post by wirralbirder »

Hi Steve,

Can you confirm that this is Vine's Rustic rather than Rustic. Until my earlier record in June I had only seen them on the Scillies during October.

Cheers,
Harry

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Harry,

I think on balance you have yourself a Vine's. It is very pale and the leading edge of the forewing looks gun-barrel straight. It's also getting a bit late for The Rustic as I don't believe we are in the zone here in Cheshire where a second brood occurs (I may be wrong). Since 1991 we have had very few records in our garden in August, with the peak flight time being in mid-July (though it begins to appear regularly around the third week in June). If you managed a look at the under-wing colour that would have also helped ...... Vine's tending towards white with a duller pale brown trailing edge.

Cheers,
Steve

wirralbirder

Post by wirralbirder »

Hi All,

Thanks Steve for your comments.

Cheers,
Harry