Aspen

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Aspen

Post by stevehind »

Now is a good time to look for the leaf mines of Ectoedemia argyropeza on the fallen leaves of Aspen. Most of the Aspen leaves have now turned yellow but those containing the larvae of Ectoedemia argyropeza still retain patches of green chlorophyll. These ‘green islands’ are often fairly easy to find when scanning the fallen leaves below an Aspen.
Ectoedemia argyropeza - Marton - 13/11/2018
Ectoedemia argyropeza - Marton - 13/11/2018
Aspen is usually scarce in most areas of Cheshire, so I tend to note the locations of any trees I stumble across earlier in the year, with the intention of re-visiting them to check for mines in November. This past week I have found Ectoedemia argyropeza mines at new sites in Marton, Nether Alderley, Poynton and Whiteley Green.

At the Nether Alderley site I also found a couple of Stigmella assimilella mines on the Aspen. This is rare species in Cheshire, known only from four other sites in the county.
Stigmella assimilella - Nether Alderley - 13/11/2018
Stigmella assimilella - Nether Alderley - 13/11/2018
Regards
Steve
stevehind

Re: Aspen

Post by stevehind »

Ectoedemia argyropeza was very common at Disley this morning on the fallen leaves of Aspen. Counted 195 mines along a path without even venturing below the stand of Aspens. Also found an Ectoedemia intimella mine below a nearby sallow and Psychoides filicivora larva on Hart's-tongue Fern growing out of the wall of the Ring O'Bells.

Moving on to Higher Disley, more Ectoedemia argyropeza mines along the track to Bollinhurst Bridge and another Psychoides filicivora larva on Hart's-tongue Fern growing out of the old footbridge across the brook.

I've not seen any adult Psychoides filicivora this year. I usually see at least one most years in the garden, so checked the Hart's-tongue Fern on arriving home and the larvae were as common as usual.

Regards
Steve
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Steve, folks,

I've just had a look at the planting scheme proposals (most of which have already happened) for Ince Park Nature Reserve and was pleasantly surprised to find that there's provision for over 100 Aspens on the site. Its looking quite good at the moment in truth and on the few visits I've made thus far there's always been something of interest, whether it be birds, insects or plants. Probably the best find on the moth front was several larval tubes of Gypsonoma aceriana, so I guess I'll go check out the Aspen!

Though the reserve is quite substantial, at the moment at least the majority of it is off limits to the general public (some areas are still being "built"). I'll post something under a separate thread as to access etc; in case there are peeps wanting to visit.

Cheers,
Steve
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi folks,

for those of you interested in visiting Ince Park I've attached a plan below.

Please note that the only areas with public access are those labelled D1 and D2.

Anyone like me who remembers being able to get from Frodsham Marshes to Ince in the past please note that Marsh Lane is now gated and locked so the way to the site is through the village of Ince, just to the north of Elton. This is easily accessed, whether coming from the east or west, by turning north at the main traffic lights at the crossroads on the A5117 keep straight ahead at the next set of lights after c.300 metres, go straight across the mini roundabout thereafter and also straight across the next roundabout to enter the village of Ince. At the first obvious T-like junction, turn LEFT, pass the Duke of Wellington pub and continue until you arrive at the place to park. There is a longish lay-by as indicated on the map, which will easily accommodate half a dozen cars. Park and walk the 400 metres to the reserve entrance. The road as such is well potholed which is why I advise parking as indicated. There is space for just ONE car at the entrance to areas D; either way, leave clear access to the gated part of the road at all times as contractors and site security use it regularly throughout the day.

There's one permanent pond within Areas D and public footpaths are clear and simple to follow. Probably more interesting in the spring and summer than it is right now when there are lots of plants and insects about but its open year round so check it out!
Ince park
Ince park
IncePark access from A5117
IncePark access from A5117
Cheers,
Steve