Cheshire Moth Atlas 1808 - 2017

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Cheshire Moth Atlas 1808 - 2017

Post by stevehind »

A large PDF (206 mb) containing tetrad (2 km) resolution maps for all 1506 moths that have been recorded in VC58, can now be downloaded via a OneDrive link from the North West Invertebrates website.
http://www.northwestinvertebrates.org.u ... pidoptera/ Click on LINK under Availability.
The best way to use the document is by searching for the species you are interested in: Hold ctrl and F, then type in the scientific name, vernacular name or ABH number and press Enter.
Thanks to co-authors Gary Hedges and Steve Holmes for all their efforts in producing this and to all of you for sending in your moth records.
We intend updating the maps to include 2018 data once it has all been received. If you find any errors, or have any constructive feedback please let us know so we can do something about it for the next update.
This is part of the Tanyptera Project, which is funded by Tanyptera Trust and hosted by National Museums Liverpool.
Regards
Steve
Greg

Re: Cheshire Moth Atlas 1808 - 2017

Post by Greg »

Thanks Guys,

This will be a very useful addition to my local mothing knowledge.

Greg
mikew

Post by mikew »

Many thanks for your hard work in producing the Atlas & the annual reports

Regards, Mike
GrahamJones

Post by GrahamJones »

A surprise early Christmas present for me. Wonderful! And thanks for all the hard work, all very much appreciated.

Graham Jones
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

This Atlas is well on the way to becoming one of my most used facilities, and credit and thanks go to all who have been involved in the production. Please note that the question that follows the background information below is not intended in any way to be a criticism, if the map proves to be incorrect.

While browsing the maps, just getting used to them and how to search for species, I came across the map for 69.005 Death’s Head Hawk Moth Acherontia atropos. It shows that the 10k square SJ28 has been the most productive for this species since 2000.

My Mapmate database is unfortunately out of date, as about 3 years ago I lost the ability to synchronize files with the Mapmate hub and other Mapmate users, due I am informed, to the bombardment of Microsoft updates that my computer received, when Microsoft were preparing for all Windows 7 computer owners to accept an upgrade to Windows 10. I didn’t accept the free upgrade, as I understood that I could have lost even more features if I had.

The only post 2000 records that I have on my database are 1 record each from 2005, 2006 and 2008, so I can’t discover whether the map is correct or not.

I suspect it is not, so would appreciate any information from Mapmate users who do have an up to date database.

Apologies to all concerned if I am wrong and the map is correct

Thanks,
Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Mel

A couple of points:

1. MapMate users only have access to a working copy of the database. This working copy does not contain all of the county records. What it does contain is many erroneous, as well as duplicated records and it was realized many years ago that the inability to amend records by the county recorder made it impractical for use as the county database. The current county database is held on a stand-alone copy of MapMate, which does allow the county recorder to add/delete/amend all records. The maps are based on this CLEAN copy of MapMate.

2. For a record to be mapped, the record requires a grid reference. Most of the records we receive today arrive with grid references but not all. Records received without a grid reference are generally allocated at least a 1km square grid reference based upon their site names.

So back to your query concerning Death's-head Hawk-moth Acherontia Atropos. There have only been four records since 2000, the three you mention, plus another in September 2006 from somewhere on The Wirral. In order to input the latter record, a grid reference was required and the 10km square reference SJ28 was selected, so looking at the map you can see three post 2000 records mapped at the normal tetrad (2km square) resolution and one at the 10km square resolution.

Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

I can see where you are with the maps, but I just thought that all records were mapped to Tetrad level.

However, I have just discovered something else about the spreadsheet. I thought I would add a comment to the page about the shading of SJ28, just to try it.

I succeeded in that, but after saving the file, I found that the search facility is now very slow. Unless I have done something wrong, it is not worth doing.

Still, I can always download another copy.

Thanks for your reply,
Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Mel

There are another 160 records on the database where the only site information is “The Wirral”. All have been mapped at the 10km square level in SJ28. The only other post 2000 records is for a Humming-bird Hawk-moth Macroglossum stellatarum in 2015. That record does not completely cover the whole hectad in orange on the map as there are other sightings of Hummers since 2000 in SJ28, so these will have priority and are mapped at the tetrad resolution. Now have a look at the map for Lampronia morosa. There is a pre 2000 record which is also mapped at the 10km square resolution but as the pre 2000 records are plotted as open squares, this record is hardly noticeable against the grid square background. Maybe we should consider changing the format from squares to circles on future updates. Would that be preferable ? I could change the Death's-head Hawk-moth record to simply ‘Cheshire’ which would completely remove it from the map. This would be OK as SJ28 was only a selected hectad. What do you reckon ?

Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

The last thing I wanted to do when submitting my post was to create additional work for anyone.

I have now re-read the notes to the Atlas, and better understand what I am seeing. I have also checked out the map for 9.004 Lampronia morosa. I had not looked at it previously, but I had noticed similar denotation elsewhere.

Having spent time just getting familiar with the Atlas, by searching for species I knew, and to check the distribution, I had noticed some blank 10k squares with darker boundaries. I now realize they are pre 2000 10k records but some of those I found are not SJ28.

Just for info I list a few, but you probably know them better than anyone:
10.001 Tischeria ekebladella - SJ38, 12.032 Tinea semifulvella - SJ38, 15.029 Parornix devoniella - SJ38.
Other 10k squares I have noted include 16.019 - SJ37 and 16.002 - SJ46, as well as SJ28.

If I am right to assume that these show pre 2000 records for the relevant 10k square, with the precise site unknown, then this would be sufficient information, as it doesn’t throw up any confusion.

I was confused where a post 2000 record filled the entire 10k square, but I have only found the one example among the species I have checked. Of the 160 10k resolution maps you mentioned, how many involve post 2000 records? If there are no others or very few, and if it is only me that has a problem, then why change?

If however there are many more, then personally I would like to see this confusion removed, either by a circle as you suggest, or perhaps a different colour. Either would indicate straight away, that the record and distribution is only approximate.

Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Mel

There are indeed 10km square records in SJ38 for 10.001 Tischeria ekebladella, 12.032 Tinea semifulvella and 15.029 Parornix devoniella. There is also a SJ37 record for 16.019 Paraswammerdamia albicapitella. All taken from a ‘Provisional checklist of Wirral Lepidoptera’ published in the Lancashire & Cheshire Entomological Society Annual Report and Proceeding Vols 116-120:128-133 by Alan Creaser, as part of his 1994 Presidential Address to the society. The SJ46 record of Yponomeuta padella Orchard Ermine was of bred adults by the late Geoff Wotherspoon in 1990 and was also taken from the LCES journal no. 114:14. As can be seen from the dates, these are all pre 2000 records. It might also be worth mentioning here, that the map for Yponomeuta padella only includes larval records, or adults bred from larvae where the food plant was noted, as per the National Moth Recording Scheme guidelines, as adults of this species caught at light cannot be determined with any certainty.

Of the remaining 160 ‘Wirral’ records mapped in SJ28, the only post 2000 record is for a Humming-bird Hawk-moth Macroglossum stellatarum in 2015 and that record does not completely cover the whole hectad in orange on the map as there are another 40 records of Hummers from 13 tetrads since 2000 in SJ28, so these are mapped at the tetrad resolution and appear to have priority over the 2015 record on the map. The 160 records only refer to those recorded as ‘The Wirral’ and mapped in SJ28. There will be many more records, mainly pre 2000, recorded only at the 10km square, including others in SJ28.

Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

The added information given in your latest reply, has answered the questions I have been thinking about.

Now that I fully understand the use of ‘highlighted’ but blank 10k squares, plus the fact that there has been only one post 2000 record involved, I feel that there is no real need for any change, especially as it appears to only be of concern to myself.

At this time of year I have too much time to think on such matters, but I recognise that you, as a County Recorder have more pressing things to attend to. I therefore appreciate the time and effort you have taken to answer my questions.

Thanks again,
Mel.
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

melbellingham wrote: especially as it appears to only be of concern to myself.
Not true - I've been following with interest, I was confused by overlapping 10km and 2km highlighted squares and this discussion has clarified it a lot!

Cheers
Paul