Plenty of Moths but.......

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Plenty of Moths but.......

Post by melbellingham »

I don’t record many 50+ species, but last night (15/07/2019) was one such night.

242 moths of 59 species, but only Carcina quercana NFY, so that was slightly disappointing. Two small Tortrix moths and a Coleophora still to ID could add to the total.

It isn’t as if there is nothing I can add to my year list, as the number of macro species that I had recorded by this date last year, that haven’t appeared this year, has now risen to 34.

Two macro’s however I was pleased to see. After recording my first garden record of Sycamore on 06/07, I had my second record in the trap this morning. Another nice specimen, and hopefully breeding somewhere nearby.
Sycamore - 15 07 2019
Sycamore - 15 07 2019
The larval foodplants are many and varied, but already the large sycamore that overhangs my garden, that I curse every autumn when it sheds bucket loads of seeds everywhere, and further curse it in the spring when hundreds of sapling need pulling, is starting to look more attractive by the day.

The second macro was my 2nd record of the year (and only my 6th garden record) of Phoeniix.
Phoenix - 15 07 2019
Phoenix - 15 07 2019
The best micro, besides C. quercana was Teleiodes luculella.
Teleiodes luculella - 14 07 2019
Teleiodes luculella - 14 07 2019
Large Yellow Underwings are now increasing, Dark Arches and Uncertain still numerous, Common Footman more common this year than in recent years, but not numerous, as is the Clay.

A single Elephant Hawk-moth last night takes my year tally to 23. Poplar Hawk-moth, usually the most common hawk moth, numbers just 4 this year.

I still struggle to understand what is happening this season.

Mel.
Last edited by melbellingham on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveH

Re: Plenty of Moths but.......

Post by SteveH »

I know you won't go there Mel but to read similar and much worse tales of woe on the insect front head over to the UK Hoverflies Facebook group pages - UK-wide major concerns over where they have all gone to this year.

No-oone there has the answer either...

Cheers,
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

It is not just moths in short supply here in my garden, as I am of the opinion that Ladybirds and Shieldbugs haven't appeared in the trap as frequently as most years.

It will be interesting to find out what the experts come up with, but I can't help thinking that the long dry summer we all experienced last year might have something to do with it.

Mel.
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

I haven’t recorded a single Willow Beauty so far this year - normally very common in my garden. It’s bizarre.

Cheers
Paul