Micro-moth Field Tips: A Guide to Finding the Early Stages

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Micro-moth Field Tips: A Guide to Finding the Early Stages in Lancashire and Cheshire:

The eagle-eyed may have spotted in Steve Palmer's Lancashire Micro-moth Newsletter, a mention of the book Ben Smart is writing. It is now very roughly complete. Steve is kindly proof-reading and hopefully it will be published later this year.

The provisional title is "Micro-moth Field Tips: A Guide to Finding the Early Stages in Lancashire and Cheshire".
It is a 216-page guide to locating the early stages of our micro-moths by searching for their feeding signs, leaf-mines and larvae.

The book provides detailed advice on the life-cycles of over 170 species, and contains over 600 photos illustrating the early stages of over 300 species found within Lancashire and Cheshire, (and of course also found elsewhere within the rest of the country).

Below are a couple of sample pages (not proof-read yet !) and the cover. The Lancashire and Cheshire Fauna Society and Lancashire Butterfly Conservation have kindly agreed to fund the publication, but Ben would like some idea of the interest out there. If you find the proposed book interesting and think you may like to have a copy can you please let Ben know via e-mail on: cath.ben@btinternet.com - It will help Ben decide how many copies to print.

Cover of "Micro-moth Field Tips: A Guide to Finding the Early Stages in Lancashire and Cheshire"
Cover of "Micro-moth Field Tips: A Guide to Finding the Early Stages in Lancashire and Cheshire"
Sample Page
Sample Page
Sample Page
Sample Page
[/color]
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Steve,

I tried to upload the North West England Regional Micro-moth Newsletter during the weekend but there is a maximum upload limit of 2MB on the forum which prevented me doing so. I contacted rECOrd and am awaiting a reply. Are you able to upload the newsletter under your authority ?

The newsletter covers Cheshire, Cumbria and Lancashire, not just Lancashire and includes the first details about Ben's book, so most Cheshire folks will be unaware of the book as they have yet to read the newsletter, so you've kind of jumped the gun with this post.

Regards,
Steve

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Hi Steve,

Although I have access and the ability to edit and delete posts as a moderator I am afraid that is as far as it goes. I do not have the ability to alter board settings so in this instance it would have to be done (if it is possible) by the staff at rECOrd. There is however, the possibility that even they may be unable to help as the 2 Gigabyte limit may be imposed by php the underlying software supporting the board.

Here is hoping they can help and are able to resolve your issue asap.

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Thanks Steve.

One option I suggested may be to add it to the moth groups downloadable files at: http://www.record-lrc.co.uk/c1.aspx?Mod ... ID=G004008

Regards,
Steve

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Steve,

That sounds like an excellent idea !!

Steve

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Micro Moth Field Tips - New book by our colleague - Ben Smart. Pre-publication offer attached.

Attachments
MMFieldTops Pre-publication (1).pdf
Micro Moth Field Tips - Pre-publication Offer
(482.27 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Ben's book arrived yesterday, an excellent publication. Took it out for a test drive and found the larvae of Holly Tortrix Rhopobota naevana.
Holly Tortrix (Rhopobota naevana) - Adlington - SJ9278 - 12/06/2017
Holly Tortrix (Rhopobota naevana) - Adlington - SJ9278 - 12/06/2017
Regards,
Steve

[/color]