Season Starts (Including New 5W LED Trap)

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
CliveJ

Season Starts (Including New 5W LED Trap)

Post by CliveJ »

Season Starts (Including New 5W LED Trap):

After a barren night a couple of weeks ago Friday 10th was a good start. In addition to my Actinic trap I tried out my new LED trap (purchased from Paul Batty).

The actinic provided one Oak Beauty (a long-awaited first for me) and 2 Common Quakers, while in the LED were and Early Grey and a Double-striped Pug. I'm not sure if the LED trap can reasonably compete with the Actinic in my small garden, but it was an encouraging debut, it shows up well and I'm looking forward to using it away from home.

Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi)
Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi)
Oak Beauty (Biston strataria)
Oak Beauty (Biston strataria)
Early Grey (Xylocampa areola)
Early Grey (Xylocampa areola)
[/color]
SteveMcBill

Re: Season Starts (Including New 5W LED Trap)

Post by SteveMcBill »

Hi Clive,

Any further news on the use of LED UV lights in a moth trap ??? The low power usage and the simplicity they allow in moth trap lighting design look wonderful but one cannot help but wonder at their efficiency in attracting and catching moths.

Cheers and thanks.

Steve

CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

Hi Steve,

See below some results from trapping in Denbighshire. The LED has had some success and I'm planning to use it next time - possibly tomorrow night. Clearly this is not a controlled comparison, but in a woodland far from background light the LED can clearly do some business. I'll probably alternate for a while and post again in due course.

Cheers,
Clive

LED & Actinic.PNG
[/color]
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Thanks Clive - interesting results. I shall look forward to any further tests/results you make available.

Cheers,
Steve