Best Mothing Night Ever

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Greg

Best Mothing Night Ever

Post by Greg »

Best Mothing Night Ever:

Afternoon All,

Last night (25/05/2017) at Llanymynech Rocks I had my best trap ever. With 69 species including 12 brand new species, some very unexpected. (some pics below). Also, Lobster Moth and Small Yellow Wave.

I'm knackered but still buzzing.

Greg

Attachments
Coronet
Coronet
Light Feathered Rustic
Light Feathered Rustic
Light Brocade
Light Brocade
Clouded Brindle
Clouded Brindle
Netted Pug
Netted Pug
Haworth's Pug
Haworth's Pug
Pretty Chalk Carpet
Pretty Chalk Carpet
Galium Carpet
Galium Carpet
Little Emerald
Little Emerald
Barred Umber
Barred Umber
Last edited by Greg on Sat May 27, 2017 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
PaulHopkins

Re: Best Mothing Night Ever

Post by PaulHopkins »

Absolutely amazing, I want to go there !

You've got a typo: Netted Pug not Carpet.

Paul

CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

Netted Pug - what a moth !

Clive

Greg

Re: Best Mothing night ever.

Post by Greg »

Netted Carpet ! I wish.

Sorry about that, my brains on the verge of shutting down.
Anyone is welcome to join me in a week or so. I can't guarantee nights like last night; the previous night a week or so ago it poured down, ended up with ten wet moths in total. Let me know and we can arrange it.

Greg

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Folks,

Every time I read of 'best night ever' I'm forcibly taken back to France in 2004 when a group of six of us spent a week in a friends house in the Dordogne. They moved out, we moved in and the rest, as they say, is history.

It was a big property to be honest and our four Robinson type traps were able to be positioned so that there was no interference between them. The first night was unbelievable the rest just followed behind as being under par but in truth the whole week was a mind-blowing experience.

That first night the last of us went to bed around 2am and were back up at 6am decanting the traps, potting up those we couldn't immediately put names to - and there were lots of pots by the time the last trap had been done ! In fact, it took four of us 12 hours to go through everything and of course there were numbers that simply defied identification which had to be released. Those not involved in identification were attempting to photograph un-named species so we could hopefully find at least some on the Internet after returning home; we didn't break for food either, it was brought to us and we munched and browsed all day ! After releasing the catch a safe distance away from the trapping areas we had a short break of a couple of hours, resting eyes and what have you before switching them all back on again to start over. Incredibly, the list for the one night was 248 species.

At the end of the week we narrowly missed another milestone, falling two short of 450 species. We came home for a rest !

Nightly catch totals: Dordogne 2004
Nightly catch totals: Dordogne 2004
Cheers,
Steve

[/color]
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Pretty Chalk Carpet (Melanthia procellata) is no duffer either. :-) Superb moth.

Great pix Greg.

Cheers,
Steve