An Excellent Night

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
CliveJ

An Excellent Night

Post by CliveJ »

An Excellent Night:

Last night (Friday 26/05/2017) was good for me in Denbighshire (Big Covert, near Maeshafn) although early morning wind and showers did't help with sorting and photographing. For anyone following following my 10W actinic vs 5W LED it was the actinic's turn last night.

This was the first time I've really set out to target specific species: Wych Elm in the wood made me think Clouded Magpie and Blomer's Rivulet were possibles and I wasn't disappointed, with 6 Clouded Magpies and 4 Blomer's Rivulets in a catch of nearly 70 moths of 22 different species.

Also new for me were Alder Moth (f. suffusa I think), Clay Triple-lines, Coronet and Barred Umber. Unfortunately the Barred Umber was a fly-away before I could get more than a very fuzzy picture through the pot. The Blomer's Rivulets were also not very obliging, being very reluctant to settle on a leaf, though now I look at the pattern I suspect they are wood- or bark-sitters, so if I get another I'll try it on a tree trunk or handy bit of bark.

Clive

Alder Moth (Acronicta alni)
Alder Moth (Acronicta alni)
Blomer's Rivulet (Venusia blomeri)
Blomer's Rivulet (Venusia blomeri)
Clay Triple-lines (Cyclophora linearia)
Clay Triple-lines (Cyclophora linearia)
Clouded Magpie (Abraxas sylvata)
Clouded Magpie (Abraxas sylvata)
Coronet (Craniophora ligustri)
Coronet (Craniophora ligustri)
[/color]
Greg

Re: An Excellent Night

Post by Greg »

Hi Clive,

Some excellent moths there. Blomer's Rivulet and Clouded Magpie are two of my target species.
You have to get out there to find these beauties, as the season is over so quickly every night counts.
Nice work.

Regards,
Greg

CliveJ

Re: An Excellent Night

Post by CliveJ »

Cheers Greg.

If the system works correctly you should receive an email from me re possibility of you trapping for these species.

Clive