10km Grids

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Greg

10km Grids

Post by Greg »

10km Grids:

Morning All,

Can anyone help me please ?
I'm trying to find a map outlining the 10km areas within our VC58. Preferably overlaying an ordnance survey map of the area. So I can establish the boundaries of each 10km grid.

Thanks,
Greg

CliveJ

Re: 10km Grids

Post by CliveJ »

Hi Greg,

Don't know if this is quite what you are after, but it might serve some purpose. If you follow the link you get a map centred in Bedfordshire, but you can zoom out on the left hand satellite image, drag red pointer over Cheshire, toggle Vice County to Cheshire, zoom back in then play with check boxes to right hand side to display boundaries of each grid square over OS mapping. - http://www.bnhs.co.uk/focuson/grabagrid ... /index.htm

Also, of course, the N Wales Lepidoptera database: http://trawsgoed.com/nwleps.aspx uses a 10km square over vice-county map to display records. I've contacted them and got an answer re a correction to a couple of records, so someone there may be able to tell you how they set up their mapping system

Clive

Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the info. What I'm looking for is a map showing all the 10km grids in any particular VC. Following your directions I can get 1 individual 10km grid. I need all the grids so that I can define the boundaries of each, so that when I'm trapping in any particular area I can find which 10km grid I'm in and check on all the species history in that grid. I don't know if that's what they are doing in N.Wales. If so, I would like to know if it can be replicated for Cheshire.

Regards,
Greg

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Hi Greg,

Have you tried contacting the staff at rECOrd (i.e. Eric or Rob) ?? I am certain they will be able to help you achieve your goals.

Cheers,
Steve

melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg,

I think you are a Mapmate user, so you should have no problem with this.

Make sure your database is up to date. Once you have done that, Mapmate will be all you need.

In Analysis, go to 'Browse Records'. From the drop down box select 'Browse all records for a 10k Square'. Enter the 10k square reference, and Mapmate will give you all records.

Also, if you select Species Lists, you can get a list of all species recorded in your selected 10K square.

I've just tried a species list for SJ37 and it shows 934 species. I've obviously got a long way to go to match that.

Mel.

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Guys,

Approaching from the other direction, there are phone apps nowadays which display the NGR of where you are - might also be of use.

Cheers,
Steve