Brookhouse Moss

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Brookhouse Moss

Post by stevehind »

Brookhouse Moss:

Spent an hour at Brookhouse Moss on Wednesday evening 12/07/2017. Two species were very common; the nationally notable, Marsh Oblique-barred Hypenodes humidalis,

Marsh Oblique-barred - 12/07/2017
Marsh Oblique-barred - 12/07/2017
of which I counted 47. This equates to more than the entire total number of individuals on the county database. These were amongst the nationally local Catoptria margaritella, of which there were several hundred, although Crambus pascuella was also seen, so it was tricky arriving at an accurate count. All were arising from the Purple Moor-grass Molinia caerulea as I walked around the moss. Catoptria margaritella were also on every plant or bush I tapped making it difficult to pick out anything else.
Gold Swift - 12/07/2017
Gold Swift - 12/07/2017
120717BM.JPG
The local lanes produced a good selection of species during the afternoon with Borkhausenia fuscescens, the most common micro-moth and Small Fan-footed Wave and Dingy Footman the most common macro’s, although Twin-spot Carpets were easily disturbed on my way back from the moss in the evening.
Twin-spot Carpet - 12/07/2017
Twin-spot Carpet - 12/07/2017
120717BG.JPG
Regards,
Steve

[/color]
SteveH

Re: Brookhouse Moss

Post by SteveH »

Hi Steve,

Some great stuff there and incredible numbers of Marsh Obique-barred ! I picked up on Dingy Footman numbers, which has been reflected here in Eton this year too, with just two Common so far - though we're probably only getting into their main flight period about now.

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Re: Brookhouse Moss

Post by stevehind »

Dingy Footman were easily disturbed from the roadside hedges, some resting out in the open. Only three so far in the garden, of which just the one in the trap.

Regards,
Steve