Old Lady and Sugaring

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Old Lady and Sugaring

Post by melbellingham »

Old Lady and Sugaring:

Hi,

I have recently seen that Old Lady Mormo maura has featured in several traps. I too have been recording the odd 1 on some nights, mainly adjacent to the trap (4), but also occasionally inside also (2).

I had thought from the condition of the moths (ragged wings and other signs of ‘wear and tear’) that I had recorded up to 3 different specimens.

Last night (02/09/2017) on my visit to check the trap, I found 2 specimens on the wall. This morning, there were none on the wall, but when emptying the trap, there were 5 inside.

I have recorded higher numbers in past years, mostly on sugar. The highest count I ever attracted to sugar was 17 on 03/08/2009. The last double figure count I recorded was 19/08/2010. In recent years the numbers have been much lower.

Even though numbers attracted to sugar had been falling, I have continued to use sugar every year, but have not attracted any Old Lady in 2017. The total number of moths that I have attracted to sugar this year is 1. This was a Large Yellow Underwing, but I have seen more on my Buddleia, so is my sugar working ? The answer is probably no, as I can’t imagine that every Old Lady have changed their feeding habits.

I have always used the same method of ‘brewing’ my sugar, which is the method described by Roy Leverton in his book ‘Enjoying Moths’. I have used the same treacle and beer as always, but I can’t source the same dark molasses sugar. I don’t usually add anything to my sugar and have no secret ingredients. I have noted that the sugar I now use very quickly seems to re-crystallize in the container. I assume therefore that the problem is the sugar I use.

If any other members are using sugar in their gardens or in the field, to attract moths, I would be keen to hear of their recent results.

Sadly, I lost the image with 17 moths feeding on sugar, but I still have the image of my last double figure count. I recorded 10 when submitting my records, but have just noticed an 11th on the tree trunk next to the sugared post.

Mel.

Old Lady on Sugar - Aug 2010
Old Lady on Sugar - Aug 2010
[/color]
rogerwilkinson

Re: Old Lady and Sugaring

Post by rogerwilkinson »

Hi Mel,

Amazing to see your photo of 17 on sugar. I too have had more than usual in my trap - five in the last 11 nights - and again looking at their wear reckon at least three and possibly all five were individual moths.

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Old Lady appear to be having a good year. I don't normally see this species in my garden but I have had a couple already this year, my first for three years. I ran a light on Friday night in a Poynton garden for the Wilmslow Guild and we attracted two moths. Speaking to Barry Shaw yesterday he told me this is his best year for them; he had five one night.

Regards,
Steve

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Folks,

Had four here, with just one in 'decent' plumage. Constitutes our best ever year. A similar number of Red Underwings makes 2017 the best on record for them too - anyone else getting more of them than usual ?

Cheers,
Steve