Pick and Mix !

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
bobhelencoan

Pick and Mix !

Post by bobhelencoan »

Pick and Mix !

Thursday night was a low count but we had nice Pale Eggar. There must have been a local hatching of Eudonia angustea as we had 10 fresh looking one. Also, the Skin Moths seem to like our old carpet on our compost heap. 8 including a mating pair.

After Steve Hind's advice we looked for tenanted mines on Hawthorn when collecting food for our larvae. Steve said to look for other mines close by so we thought 3 on one leaf counted. Does this help with ID ?

Found several blotches on the underside tips of leaves. Some were tenanted so we tried to photograph the larvae. It does not seem the same as Parornix anglicella so is it not a moth mine ?

As usual any help is much appreciated.

Bob & Helen

Attachments
Pale Eggar (Trichiura crataegi)
Pale Eggar (Trichiura crataegi)
Eudonia angustae
Eudonia angustae
Skin Moths (Monopis laevigella)
Skin Moths (Monopis laevigella)
3 mines on Hawthorn
3 mines on Hawthorn
Tip blotch and larva on Hawthorn
Tip blotch and larva on Hawthorn
Last edited by bobhelencoan on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Re: Pick and Mix !

Post by Greg »

Hi Bob and Helen,

Your first one is a Pale Eggar. Easy mistake.

Regards,
Greg

bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Thanks Greg.

Have corrected it.

Helen

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Bob & Helen,

I'd agree with you that its not Parornix anglicella - though I have no idea as to its true identity. Not certain there's a moth larva sporting those colours that feed on Hawthorn so it may well be something else.

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

I think you may have five mines on that Hawthorn leaf. There appears to be a Stigmella mine running from the petiole a short way up the left edge of the leaf. Immediately to the right of the Stigmella mine there is a pale area which resembles the other three mines elsewhere on the leaf. I reckon these four mines are Bucculatrix bechsteinella. The Bucculatrix moult between instars within a white cocoonet, usually on the underside of a leaf, so this is maybe what you have in your second photo. The larva also matches that of a newly emerged Bucculatrix bechsteinella larva.

Regards,
Steve

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Folks,

How bizarre. I'd completely discounted bechsteinella as the larvae didn't come close to the one I photographed just a couple of weeks ago !

Steve, presumably you saying that the ones in Bob & Helens' photo are of a later instar to mine then ? Interesting stuff.

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

I have this photo of a newly emerged larva, although I am not sure who the photographer is.

Regards,
Steve

Attachments
Bucculatrix bechsteinella - early instar larva
Bucculatrix bechsteinella - early instar larva