Mount Pleasant

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Mount Pleasant

Post by stevehind »

Mount Pleasant:

My intention last Saturday (02/09/2017) was to visit Mow Cop but, after missing the turn, I ended up in Mount Pleasant. As this area had not previously been worked I parked up and went for a stroll. I soon found a rocky outcrop with patches of Heather and Bbilberry right on the Staffordshire border.

Cheshire Plain from Mount Pleasant
Cheshire Plain from Mount Pleasant
I searched the Bilberry for Stigmella myrtillella mines without success; although maybe another try later in the month when the second brood is feeding might be more successful. A few Antler Moths were flying amongst the Heather and I found a couple of Broom Moth larvae, as well as Dark Dagger larva on Rowan.
Broom - 02/09/2017 - S H Hind
Broom - 02/09/2017 - S H Hind
Vapourer Moths were on the wing and I flushed a Green Carpet off Oak. 28 species of leaf mine were found in the area including a couple of Stigmella roborella mines.
Stigmella roborella - 02/09/2017 - S H Hind
Stigmella roborella - 02/09/2017 - S H Hind
I left the outcrop and moved onto the next monod, where I also found 28 species of leaf mine. These included a single tenanted Stigmella glutinosae on Alder
Stigmella glutinosae - 02/09/2017 - S H Hind
Stigmella glutinosae - 02/09/2017 - S H Hind
and plenty of tenanted Chrysoesthia sexguttella mines on the roadside Spear-leaved Orache, the latter new to SJ85.
Chrysoesthia sexguttella - 02/09/2017 - S H Hind
Chrysoesthia sexguttella - 02/09/2017 - S H Hind
Also new to SJ85 was Coleophora peribenanderi, cases of which were found on Creeping Thistles along a farm track.
Coleophora peribenanderi - 02/09/2017 - S H Hind
Coleophora peribenanderi - 02/09/2017 - S H Hind
Regards,
Steve

[/color]