Anarsia innoxiella

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Anarsia innoxiella

Post by SteveH »

Anarsia innoxiella

Morning Folks,

Apart from the surprise package of our latest ever Garden Pebble which was NFY last night, the beast in the photos below is puzzling me but I reckon it might be Anarsia spartiella.

It generally sits at rest with its body curved up at the head end like a banana and it has long labial palps so I'm assuming that to be because its a female. Confirmation would be appreciated.

I've retained it for now should additional photos be required - not tried to photograph it out of the pot for obvious reasons - it runs like the wind ! If further photos are necessary I will give it a go else will release it this evening.

Female Anarsia innoxiella- Elton - 7th September 2017
Cheers,
Steve

[/color]
Last edited by SteveH on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stevehind

Re: Anarsia spartiella ?

Post by stevehind »

Hi Steve,

It looks to be an Anarsia but not sure which as it appears rather dark and streaky for A.spartiella. I'll email you a recent paper separating A.lineatella and A.innoxiella. Suggest you roost the moth over night in the fridge and try and get further photos tomorrow.

Regards,
Steve

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information and article. I agree it does look unlike A.spartiella.

Looking at the article and having surfed for additional information I am coming down on it being Anarsia innoxiella due to the presence of a second longitudinal streak - see below.

As to the grand plan for making additional photographs, 'fridged' it overnight - tapped it out of the pot and it flew off like a Peregrine ! 'Fortunately' I was in the house thanks to it pouring down outside, so it is still in here - somewhere - maybe it will turn up again !

Anarsias
Anarsias
Cheers,
Steve

[/color]
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

You could try checking your fruit bowl for an emergence hole. :)

SteveH

Re: Anarsia innoxiella

Post by SteveH »

Folks,

I've now done (even) more research into this creature and am happy with the ID now as a female Anarsia innoxiella.

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

I asked Stephen Palmer to comment on the photo and he is of the opinion that it is not A.innoxiella, as it lacks the long and, crucially thin, black lines in the centre of the forewing. In Steve's specimen the moth appears to have elongate, broader blotches of black in that position. That leaves A.lineatella which, in Cheshire, as in probably most of the UK, would have to be an escaped adventive from imported fruit, or a very dark and strongly marked A.spartiella. The latter is the most likely in Cheshire but, sadly, without the moth we'll never know for sure.

Regards,
Steve

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

OK - thanks Steve - binned.

It should still be in the house somewhere so lets hope it turns up sometime. :-)

Cheers,
Steve