Mottram St Andrew

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Mottram St Andrew

Post by stevehind »

Mottram St Andrew:

I have already posted a few larval mines on Alder found at Mottram St Andrew on 15/09/2017 at http://www.record-lrc.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =24&t=3843
Here are a few more mines found on other tree species that day:

Leucoptera laburnella – a second generation mine on Laburnum.

Leucoptera laburnella leaf mine- 15/09/2017
Leucoptera laburnella leaf mine- 15/09/2017
Phyllonorycter harrisella – a common species on Oak.
Phyllonorycter harrisella leaf mines- 15/09/2017
Phyllonorycter harrisella leaf mines- 15/09/2017
Apart from rearing the adults it is easiest to confirm by finding vacated mines which still contain the old pupal cases. Look on the tips of the empty pupal case at the spines on the cremaster under a microscope as they differ from the other Oak feeding Phyllonorycters.
Phyllonorycter harrisella leaf mines complete with empty pupal cases - 15/09/2017
Phyllonorycter harrisella leaf mines complete with empty pupal cases - 15/09/2017
Roeslerstammia erxlebella – Check the tips of Lime leaves for some contain frass produced by the first instar.
Roeslerstammia erxlebella leaf mine - 15/09/2017
Roeslerstammia erxlebella leaf mine - 15/09/2017
Bucculatrix thoracella – also on Lime are the ‘L’ shaped mines and grazing signs
Bucculatrix thoracella mines and feeding signs - 15/09/2017
Bucculatrix thoracella mines and feeding signs - 15/09/2017
with white, circular, cocoonets on the underside in which the larva moults.
Bucculatrix thoracella cocoonet - 15/09/2017
Bucculatrix thoracella cocoonet - 15/09/2017
Regards,
Steve

[/color]
bobhelencoan

Re: Mottram St Andrew

Post by bobhelencoan »

Steve,

We are finding your leaf mine reports very useful except we don't seem to be finding any occupied mines locally. We have found a case bearer on Hawthorn which is not like previous ones we have had on Hawthorn.

Image attached.

Bob & Helen

Attachments
Case bearer on Hawthorn
Case bearer on Hawthorn
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Bob & Helen,

Most of the Stigmella mines I find are vacated. They are only tenanted for a few days, so you need a certain amount of luck finding them tenanted.

I don't know how to separate the Coleophora cases on Hawthorn. The MOGBI key has determination uncertain for this group, yet in the NMRS guidelines Coleophora spinella is down as category C2 = A good quality photo or specimen of the case and plant/pabulum is required. I'll have to look into this.

Regards,
Steve

bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Thanks Steve.

We now have 2 samples of this case bearer on Hawthorn which we will try to breed through.

Bob & Helen

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Bob & Helen,

Sent the query about your Coleophora case up to the National Verification Panel and heard back from John Langmaid “It rather depends on whether it is bivalved or trivalved and I can’t tell from the photo. I would rather assume it’s the latter in which case it is almost certainly Coleophora spinella.”

I'm still puzzled though as MOGBI mentions Coleophora coracipennella also having a trivalved case and this sometimes feeds on Hawthorn. Hopefully this will become more clear once the updated 'Emmet Field Guide' is published.

Regards,
Steve