Spain

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
bobhelencoan

Spain

Post by bobhelencoan »

Spain:

We are in Murcia near to the Mar Menor for a few weeks. No moth trap or moth books with us except for Las Mariposas de la region de Murcia which covers butterflies and macro moths but the images are all but useless. We have managed to catch a few moths from our external light and have managed to ID The Vestal, Egyptian Boll Worm, Seaside Plume and an Oegoconia species. We think we had Small Fan-foot Wave which is in the region and perhaps Mullein Wave which should also be around here.

Caught four what we think are an Acronicta species, two females laid eggs. A dark moth with pale underwing. Anybody any ideas ?

Plus a nice well marked little moth.

If anyone can tell us where we might find more info on Murcian moths and who we should perhaps pass photos and records to we would be pleased to send our records.

Sorry we will miss the UK Moth Nights.

Bob & Helen

Attachments
Small Fan-foot Wave ?
Small Fan-foot Wave ?
Mullein Wave ?
Mullein Wave ?
Acronicta species ?
Acronicta species ?
Unknown
Unknown
PaulHopkins

Re: Spain

Post by PaulHopkins »

I think your third photo may be Dark Mottled Willow (Spodoptera cilium) - this is based on my having seen lots of this species in Salou in August, which I had ID help with on F**cebook. But, I might be wrong, Spanish moths seem like a bit of a minefield to me !

Cheers,
Paul

bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Paul,

Thanks for that. Both Dark and Small Mottled Willow are in our area. I think you are right that it is Dark Mottled Willow from colour, size and markings. If the eggs hatch before we come home we may be able to confirm it even more.

We have some more unknowns we will post in a couple of days.

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Bob & Helen,

The moth in your last photo is a bit worn but is quite probably Cryphia ochsi - though it seems a little late for it to be on the wing.

Cheers,
Steve

bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Thanks Steve.

We agree, Cryphia ochsi is quite a close match but is not in the Murcia book with other members of that family, Acronictinae. Web suggests it is eastern European. Must be close.

Bob & Helen

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Bob & Helen,

interesting that - in the Lepidoptera of Europe - A distributional Checklist by Karsholt and Razowski, the species is shown as being present in France, Spain and Italy along with half a dozen more easterly countries. The Spanish data was accrued by Antonio Vives.

Cheers,
Steve

bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Thanks Steve.

It looks as if Cryphia ochsi is correct then. Any comments on the Waves ?

Bob & Helen

bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

We are now fairly sure the second wave is Idaea miniscularia a common moth in southern Spain.

Bob & Helen