ID Help Please

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
PaulHopkins

ID Help Please

Post by PaulHopkins »

ID Help Please:

The minimum temperature in my garden last night (13/10/2017) was an astonishing 17.9 deg C. As might be expected, there was a decent selection of moths in the trap (26 of 17 sp.), including what I think is a Turnip NFG - is this right ? (Hind wings were white).

There were also a couple of Thera carpet sp. I find this group difficult, but I think they're Spruce Carpet and Grey Pine Carpet - can anyone confirm/deny ?

(Sorry the pictures aren't brilliant).

Cheers,
Paul

Attachments
Spruce Carpet and Grey Pine Carpet ?
Spruce Carpet and Grey Pine Carpet ?
Turnip ?
Turnip ?
stevehind

Re: ID Help Please

Post by stevehind »

Yes Paul, those all look OK.

Regards,
Steve

PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

Thanks Steve.

Another Turnip last night, definitely a different individual - I wonder if they're migrants ? (Along with last night's Diamondback). The last two nights have brought in 27 species, the best October spell I've had in my 4 years of trapping.

Paul

Attachments
2017-10-15 18_19_29-My records.png
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Paul,

Turnip could be a migrant. I had one on 14th October, so far my only one this year. Not many migrants here, just a single Silver Y this past week but Rusty-dot Pearl Udea ferrugalis turned up last night.

Numbers and species of moths have been exceptional this past week due to these warm winds. I had 67 moths of 20 species last night. I doubt that I've had so many at this time of year before here.

Regards,
Steve