Another Plant Baffling Me ......

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Another Plant Baffling Me ......

Post by SteveH »

Another Plant Baffling Me ......:

Hi Folks,

Was out on a wander at Parkgate yesterday and it was 'OK' - couple of Marsh Harriers, Peregrine, Greenshanks etc; etc;

On the moth front we managed 29 species of leaf-mine plus found both an early Drinker larva and an adult Angle Shades for the second week running. Also found mines on the plant in the photo below which neither of us knew so if anyone can identify the plant then we might be able to get to what's caused the mines. I guess it would have been about 60cms tall.

Plant at Parkgate - 18102017
Plant at Parkgate - 18102017
Angle Shades, Parkgate - 18th October 2017
Angle Shades, Parkgate - 18th October 2017
Many thanks.

Cheers,
Steve

[/color]
stevehind

Re: Another Plant Baffling Me ......

Post by stevehind »

How about Mugwort ?

Regards,
Steve

SteveH

Re: Another plant baffling me....

Post by SteveH »

Now I really am confused. :-)

I thought I knew Mug-wort. All the other Mug-wort we came across (looking for artemisicolella) were dry and straw coloured with heaps of buds on them. This looks, to us at least, completely different ...... the leaves in particular are massive to what I typically see on Mug-wort ......

Cheers,
Steve

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

There are multiple plants in the photo (or apparently so). The plant at the base to the left is Greater Plantain, the plant to the right at the base (or directly at the base) does appear to be Mugwort, BUT, the tall spike has elongate oval leaves and although they do appear to be grey green like Mugwort are not Mugwort leaves (unless it is an extreme aberation).

Steve

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Folks,

Yes, we've just been looking at the photo again and came to the same conclusion - that its more than one plant intermingled with each other.

Looking at both alternatives we can find nothing that resembles the mines however. :-)

Cheers,
Steve