Trap Position

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Trap Position

Post by stevehind »

Trap Position:

For the past three nights I have moved the trap a short distance further back in the garden. As shrubs have grown, the usual site was becoming too enclosed, which I thought may have been reducing the catch.

Old trap site
Old trap site
I have a couple of compost bins near the back hedge and I placed the trap inside one of these bins. The trap is now more open and probably directly below any flight path which moths take as they move along the hedge. It is also raised, as it rests on old carpets above the rotting compost.
New trap site
New trap site
Placing the trap inside the bin reduces the light at the sides but these sides are a good resting place for moths which don’t enter the trap. I used to miss those which settled in the surrounding vegetation at the old site.

Early results have been promising with good numbers of moths on each night. The first night, 24/10/2017 was mild, with a minimum temperature of 10 degrees but plenty of overnight rain. The catch consisted of 80 moths of 18 species, exceptional numbers for the time of year. The next night was dry, with patchy cloud and a minimum of 8 degrees. The catch was lower, as expected as the temperature dropped but still 57 moths, with again 18 species, although not the same mix of species. Last night was clearer and the temperature was down to 4 degrees, yet I still managed 35 moths of 14 species. With such good catches I will continue with this site, at least until I empty the compost.

Regards,
Steve

[/color]
Attachments
Pine Carpet - 26/10/2017
Pine Carpet - 26/10/2017
Red Sword-grass - 26/10/2017
Red Sword-grass - 26/10/2017
Female December Moth - 26/10/2017
Female December Moth - 26/10/2017
stevehind

Re: Trap Position

Post by stevehind »

Moths down to 28 last night (27/10/2017) but still 14 species, including a Scarce Umber (Agriopis aurantiaria). Seven moths of seven species were resting outside the trap on the sides of the compost bin and fence panel.
Scarce Umber (Agriopis aurantiaria) - 27/10/2017
Scarce Umber (Agriopis aurantiaria) - 27/10/2017
Regards,
Steve

[/color]
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Steve,

Looks like your new trap position is working. I just managed 8 of 8 species last night. I'm hoping for a Scarce Umber before the end of the year.

Regards,
Greg

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Interesting Steve.

How much was the 'short distance' - are the two sites visible from each other ?

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Steve,

There is a large Dog Rose at the side of the compost which I intend pruning during the winter. This rose was blocking off the light where I used to run the trap, so I have just moved the trap about 12 feet to the other side of the rose.

Regards,
Steve

melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

I’ve read this thread several times since it was first posted, and regularly have the same thoughts on the subject, especially when my garden is subjected to windy conditions.

I have been told (many times) by recorders much more experienced than myself, that if there are any shrubs or other vegetation available, it is a good idea to place the trap close by.

In my garden, which is reasonably well furnished with nearby trees, shrubs, plants and even an area grown as a wildflower plot, my normal inclination is to set my trap against the gable wall of the house.

This position is approximately 5m from the line of trees and shrubs and 3m from the wildflower plot, so the distances are not too great, but it is often open to winds from the north, south and west.

In extreme winds, I do move the trap to a more sheltered location, but move it back when conditions are calmer.
At this time of year, last night for instance (02/11/2017), my trap switched on at 1900hrs, and during the evening, I went out to look at the trap several times.

Before going to bed, I had found 2 Figure of Eight, Willow Beauty, Red-line Quaker, 3 Light-brown Apple-moths, Tachystola acroxantha and Acleris sparsana on the wall adjacent to the trap. During a quick look inside the trap I found Azalea Leaf-miner Caloptilia azaleella. All of these species were found in the trap this morning except for Willow Beauty, along with 2 Brick, 2 Yellow-line Quaker, Winter Moth (NFY), Garden Rose Tortrix and 3 Phyllonorycter messaniella.

Would I have found all of these moths outside of the trap, if the trap had been set up against the shrubs and plants ?

I don’t think I would have found them all, even if I had searched for them (I might have struggled to find Willow Beauty in the vegetation), and I can imagine that the move Steve has made with his trap, giving moths the opportunity to settle on surfaces that are easier to view, could prove worthwhile.

The major disadvantage is that any moths settling on bare flat surfaces are also easier for the birds to find during the lighter mornings. I get around this by setting my timer so that the trap switches off about 30-45 minutes before daybreak, giving moths the chance to escape before the birds are active. It occasionally fails, but I don’t find too many bits of wing nearby. This time of the year, I am usually up before my trap switches off.

An update on last night's trap results. I usually keep checking the wall every time I pass my trap position from the previous night, and have just found Acleris literana on the wall, and which I obviously missed earlier this morning. This is my 4th record of this species this year, all of which I have found on the wall.

Acleris literana - 02/11/2017
Acleris literana - 02/11/2017

I can't imagine finding this moth sitting about in the vegetation.

Mel.

[/color]
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Folks,

We don't really have the luxury of being able to move our trap that much since our garden is so small - its site is about a metre from the kitchen window and associated walls and garden fences - though there are shrubs (Snowberry, Pyracantha, mint and the like) within arms reach.

I'd agree with Mel about the importance of walls and other flat surfaces as quite a number of species seem impervious to falling into it yet quite happily sit perched on a wall very close by. My first task on decanting each session is to check walls, fences and so on before even looking at whats inside and the only times I find (as opposed to disturb) moths on vegetation is if they are perched on top or if a wing is protruding beyond the edge of a leaf etc. Having said that, and since our garden is more of a jungle than a garden, walking up the path invariable sees a few moths disturbed from the undergrowth - up to half way down the garden, or at least six or seven metres from the trap.

Cheers,
Steve