Its That Time Of Year Again ......

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Its That Time Of Year Again ......

Post by SteveH »

Its That Time Of Year Again ......:

Hi Folks,

Seems only yesterday that Steve HH and I were asking for your 2016 records in order that we could start compiling the Annual Report !

Well, we're asking again ! I know there are some of you who will trap throughout the year irrespective of temperatures and weather but if any of you (probably like me) have decided on calling it quits for 2017 then the sooner we have your data the better. The processing involved before it becomes the source data for the report isn't a speedy one, so if we can get some done sooner rather than later its a big help in the overall process.

I've attached a version of our current recording spreadsheet for those who don't have access to Mapmate, within which there's plenty of help and instruction on how best to populate it with your own records. If we could also ask that anyone who has photographs of the more unusual species they have come across during the year within the County could let us have copies then that would be very much appreciated. Without them the report is far less interesting. Of course, all photographs will be fully acknowledged within the report.

Records_Input_Template_v2.xlsx
Blank records spreadsheet
(347.33 KiB) Downloaded 947 times
Many thanks/
Steve Holmes and Steve Hind
VC58 County Recorders for Macro and Micro-moths respectively

[/color]
stevehind

Re: Its That Time Of Year Again ......

Post by stevehind »

Recording for the National Macro-moth Atlas came to an end in 2016 and I now have a copy of the provisional maps which I am currently checking prior to publication of the atlas next year. I have decided now recording for the atlas is complete that this will be a good time to step back from verifying the counties macro-moths and pass this role onto our County Macro-moth Recorder, so Steve Holmes will be verifying the Cheshire macro-moths from 2017 onwards.

Publication of numerous micro-moth field guides in recent years and their inclusion within the National Moth Recording Scheme, is generating an ever more increased interest in these previously neglected species, so by passing across the macro-moth verifications to Steve Holmes, this will allow me to concentrate more on the micro’s.

The recording template includes both micro and macro moths, so please don’t attempt to separate them out, just send one of us the single file of all your combined moth records once you have finished recording each year.

Regards,
Steve

stevehind

Re: Its That Time Of Year Again ......

Post by stevehind »

SPREADSHEET RECORDS - IMPORTANT (PLEASE READ):

It's that time of year again when end of year records from non MapMate users are being forwarded to County Recorders for importing into the MapMate Database (Which is the vehicle we use to send our/your records to Butterfly Conservation and the National Moth Atlas). Unfortunately, recent changes to the taxonomic names of a considerable number of our moths is causing big problems. MapMate will NOT accept these (now defunct) names on spreadsheets. This causes considerable work (very time consuming) for your County Recorders who have to wade through the incorrect entries and amend them individually.

IF YOU RECORD ON SPREADSHEETS PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED THE LATEST (USER FRIENDLY - DOES IT ALL FOR YOU) RECORDS_INPUT_TEMPLATE_V2 FROM THE CHESHIRE MOTH FORUM: http://www.record-lrc.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =24&t=3915 - (Painstakingly amended and checked by Steve Hind/Steve Holmes).

If you use your own spreadsheet template or are sending records from some other recording system please ensure that the new names are being used.

MapMate users - (Entering on MapMate automatically takes care of the name changes provided the latest patches have been downloaded).

I suspect that most of you are already up to speed with this issue but the message needs to get out to everyone else too.

Regards,
Steve