Moth Books

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Greg

Moth Books

Post by Greg »

Moth Books:

Morning All,

Does anyone know where I can possibly obtain a copy of Roy Leverton's - Enjoying Moths
book, other than spending a fortune on Amazon ?

Thanks,
Greg

melbellingham

Re: Moth Books

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg,

I recently bought this book secondhand from Better World Books, for just under £40. It was a former library book, but from the condition of my book, I would guess that it had hardly ever been out on loan. As a library book it has some external and internal identification printing, but other than that it is perfect. It also has the usual library dust cover fitted.

I know it is more than the original price, but having read the book when it was first published, and subsequently refused to buy a secondhand copy for £15 some years ago, this was the best I could find.

Keep looking through the ads., and you could find a reasonably priced copy.

Other than that, I don't know of any other source, sorry.

Mel.

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Greg,

Try Blackwells at:

http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/booksho ... 0856611247

They have half a dozen 2nd hand .....

Cheers,
Steve

Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks Chaps for your suggestions. I'm still trawling for a bargain.
Who knows, I might get one as a Christmas pressie yet.

Thanks again.
Greg

anno

Post by anno »

I always use ABE Books, make sure that its the UK one or it'll be dollars and shipping charges ......

£25.99 at the minute ......

Greg

Post by Greg »

Many thanks Anno.

Regards,
Greg

Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Chaps,

Just to let you know that I managed to obtain a copy of "Enjoying Moths" from World of Books Ltd. It was in
near new condition but without its dust cover, though at £30 I can't grumble.

As far as other books are concerned, if anyone is serious about moths and wants to learn more, there are two books I would highly recommend, Moths by Michael Majerus and the reprint of E.B. Ford's classic which are
both available from Amazon.

Greg

CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

Since it's coming up to Christmas - a few more recommendations:

Mark Young - The Natural History of Moths (Poyser series) - Lots of good science plus some nice images, including one of a Pine Beauty resting head down among terminal buds of pine - an image which makes sense of the insect's shape and pattern in a way that any number of 'side-on' shots won't. I 'd love to replicate the shot, but will I ever get a cooperative Pine Beauty and a fresh pine shoot together ?!! (Sadly this book seems pretty expensive - to me it would be worth say £30 but not the £60 ish it seems to command now).

A Maitland Emmet - The Scientific Names of the Briish Lepidoptera, Their history and Meaning. Fascinating stuff at a reasonable price (no illustrations).

A couple of Cheshire curios:

S Gordon Smith - The Butterflies and Moths of Cheshire, Flintshre, etc. (1948). I thought it was worth about £12 for the descriptions of past abundance and for a fabulous b+w image of 'mothers' at Delamere.

AW Boyd - The Country Diary of a Cheshire Man - a collection of Boyds Manchester Guardian Country Diary entries from the 30s and 40s. Available much more cheaply than his New Naturalists Country Parish.