New Books Coming Soon

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

New Books Coming Soon

Post by stevehind »

New Books Coming Soon:

A couple of new books are due for publication this month:

A Field Guide to the Smaller Moths of Great Britain and Ireland
A Field Guide to the Smaller Moths of Great Britain and Ireland
"For anyone familiar with "Emmet" (Maitland Emmet, A Field Guide to the Smaller British Lepidoptera, 2nd edition, 1988) the format is the same, with the addition of thumbnail distribution maps. Much has been updated, reflecting the amount of new knowledge accrued since “Emmet”, and many new species have been added. It’ll be an essential reference if you have an interest in the life histories of the micros, but it is not a photographic ID guide" Ian Thirlwell (Facebook)
https://www.atroposbooks.co.uk/a-field- ... nd-ireland
Pug Moths of North-West England
Pug Moths of North-West England
White-spotted Pug (Eupithecia tripunctaria) - Page 54
White-spotted Pug (Eupithecia tripunctaria) - Page 54
Larch Pug (Eupithecia lariciata) - Page 62
Larch Pug (Eupithecia lariciata) - Page 62
"Brian Hancock's book on the Pugs of the North West of England will be published in the coming weeks. Covering the 43 resident species that occur in the region (out of 49 in the UK), the 120 page booklet summarises the key features to look out for on this difficult but fascinating group as well as distribution and flight periods. It will be useful to moth-ers country-wide! £15 cover price and some samples above.
Published by the Lancashire & Cheshire Fauna Society (we did Ben Smart’s Micro Field Tips book). Will be available shortly through NHBS privately and for trade." Dave Bickerton (Facebook)

[/color]
Greg

Re: New Books Coming Soon

Post by Greg »

Thanks Steve.

I have now pre-ordered Brian Handcocks book. It will be very useful.

Regards,
Greg

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Both books arrived this week.

The Pug Book can be obtained directly from Brian Hancock brian@yealand.demon.co.uk for £12 + £1.50 for postage

Regards,
Steve

melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

There are two things that I really don't like. One is queuing at the till for what seems like ages, only to see another checkout opened up just as I'm about to be served, and the other is buying something that I find I could have bought cheaper, as soon as I've bought mine.

Like Greg, I pre-ordered my copy of the 'pug' book (total cost £17.98) as it sounded like it might be very useful. Yesterday I received notification that my order had been processed (although I haven't received my book yet), only to find this morning that I could have bought it direct from the author for £13.50, which now sounds a lot better.

Oh, and I only had 1 larva (Angle Shades) yesterday as well. No wonder I'm upset.

Mel.

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Mel,

All I can say is that even at the price you paid its still an excellent purchase for what I hope will prove to be a very useful book in the future.

There's nothing in it that explains how to make all the melanic forms I get from stay away from my trap though ....... :-)

Cheers,
Steve

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had time to look at the "smaller moths" book yet ?

And, did I miss somewhere what price it is ?

Cheers,
Steve