Don't you just love 'em?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
swampthing

Don't you just love 'em?

Post by swampthing »

Pugs. What else? I'm not completely useless on these honest - it's just they get worn so quickly and easily. Please can someone help me add a name to these two recent finds.

Thanks again,

Andy
Attachments
SSL21523 (800x600).jpg
SSL21469 (640x480).jpg
Greg

Re: Don't you just love 'em?

Post by Greg »

Hi Andy

Again tricky to ID. As you say "So easily and quickly worn". But my quess due to the few clues on show would
be, top image with evidence of checkered veins and feint thoracic spot,Golden-rod Pug, bottom image stronger
markings, small but noticeable discal spot and small tornal spot, Grey Pug.

Regards
Greg
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Greg

I agree with Grey Pug for the second but not convinced the first is Golden-rod Pug. Have a look at the Common Pug photos in Hancock, as that species also has a certain amount of chequering on the veins. The first specimen in Hancock also shows a white area on the thorax in a slightly broad diamond shape, which matches Andy's specimen and the general rufous tinge to the wings is also a good pointer for Common Pug.

Regards
Steve
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

...based on the junk conditioned pugs we normally get here in Elton, I'd say both those were in pretty good nick :-)

Steve
swampthing

Post by swampthing »

Thanks to all. I did toy with common for the top specimen, but the other lost me. Still, it all helps with recording when people assist like this and I can now update my records for the nights in question. Thanks again.

Andy