Two Micro-moths: ID please?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
GasMacc1

Two Micro-moths: ID please?

Post by GasMacc1 »

I’m not too confident about these micro’s from last Sunday night (10th June 2018). I’d be grateful for any advice!

1. Notocelia trimaculana?
I think this one (forewing ca 7.5 mm) is Notocelia trimaculana, but the books point out the similarity with Notocelia roborana.
Notocelia trimaculana?
Notocelia trimaculana?
Notocelia trimaculana?
Notocelia trimaculana?
Notocelia trimaculana?
Notocelia trimaculana?
Using the guidance in the link below, I‘m leaning towards Notocelia trimaculana because it’s on the small side, and the “pre-tornal spot and median fascia” are reasonably apparent in my specimen (N.roborana- is said to have a “relatively uninterrupted patch of white ground colour between the basal patch and subterminal fascia”).

https://britishlepidoptera.weebly.com/n ... ulana.html

2. Epiblema sticticana?
I’ve become moth-blind on this one (forewing ca. 7.0 mm), veering from Epinotia immundana through Zeiraphera isertana to Epiblema sticticana!
Epiblema sticticana?
Epiblema sticticana?
Epiblema sticticana?
Epiblema sticticana?
Attachments
Epiblema sticticana?
Epiblema sticticana?
SteveH

Re: Two Micro-moths: ID please?

Post by SteveH »

Hi there,

well, both your specimens are quite worn but you are probably OK with trimaculana for the first. The second is too far gone for me - I'm not sure how to rule out cirsiana or scutulana for example...if its even one of those three species.

Cheers,
Steve
GasMacc1

Re: Two Micro-moths: ID please?

Post by GasMacc1 »

Thanks Steve.

It's a pity they're worn, and I might have to delete the potential "New for Garden" record or records, but at least it got me learning about the detail of the differences between these species. :)

Bring it on again tomorrow night!

Cheers,
Dave.