Beautiful China-mark and Other Weirdos .....

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Beautiful China-mark and Other Weirdos .....

Post by SteveH »

Beautiful China-mark and Other Weirdos .....:

Hi Folks,

I spent a few hours on Gowy Meadows today and had a reasonable return - though I have to say I wasn't particularly looking for moths whilst surveying along a breeding bird transect !

There were record numbers of Thistle Ermine (32) and Eucosma cana (15) on Spear Thistle, as well as a single Phycitodes binaevella, which is a new species for the reserve. Wandering along the riverbank counting Banded Demoiselles what I am taking to be a Beautiful China-mark then hove into view so I netted it for a look and can honestly say was nonplussed at what eventually ended up in the pot ! If its not a BCM then alternatives would be welcome !

Beautiful China-mark: Gowy Meadows - 18th June 2018
Beautiful China-mark: Gowy Meadows - 18th June 2018
I also had what was the latest of my encounters with a tortrix that habitually flies around Hawthorn. Its a fairly boring looking job but I've never managed a half decent shot of one before ..... they dance around much like Celypha lacunana, only they are plain Janes ..... the nearest I can get is Neosphaleroptera nubilana but I may be well off.
Unknown Tortrix: Gowy Meadows - 18th June 2018
Unknown Tortrix: Gowy Meadows - 18th June 2018
As I was packing away my empty lunch boxes I next noticed a Celypha striana (also new for the Reserve !) had been sat on a clover between my legs all the time ! Walking back along a nicely wooded lane to the main road was actually quite productive, with plenty of Green Oak Tortrix, two each of Acleris forsskaleana, Aleimma loeflingiana and Nemophora degeerella plus dozens of Pseudarygotozoa conwagana.

And to some larvae in an Oak leaf ..... here I have to say that my mission at this time of year is to find the mine of one of my favourite micro-moths, namely Acrocercops brongniardella - I'm certain the photos below aren't it, but that's about as far as it goes.
Multiple mines on Oak (upper surface): Gowy Meadows - 18th June 2018
Multiple mines on Oak (upper surface): Gowy Meadows - 18th June 2018
Multiple mines and larvae on Oak (underside): Gowy Meadows - 18th June 2018
Multiple mines and larvae on Oak (underside): Gowy Meadows - 18th June 2018
The larvae look to be greeny-yellow in colour with no obvious gut-line but they all show four black dots (2x2) just behind the head. Any offers gratefully received !

Cheers,
Steve

[/color]
stevehind

Re: Beautiful China-mark and Other Weirdos .....

Post by stevehind »

Hi Steve,

The only way to determine the tortrix on Hawthorn would be by dissection. I disturbed nine similar moths on 21/06/2016 from a small section of Hawthorn hedge at Gawsworth but failed to retain any.

Beautiful China-mark looks OK and have a look at Profenusa pygmaea for the oak mines.

Regards,
Steve

SteveH

Re: Beautiful China-mark and Other Weirdos .....

Post by SteveH »

Thanks Steve.

Agree with Profenusa pygmaea - perfect fit.

Cheers,
Steve