Large Tabby - possible rearing opportunity

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
CliveJ

Large Tabby - possible rearing opportunity

Post by CliveJ »

Every cloud has a silver lining; I was off work this morning trying to sort a bathroom-fitting problem at home when I found this Large Tabby on the stairs. I went through all the macros at first, before it dawned on me that it must be a micro. Sadly i fumbled it and it sustained some scale loss from one wing, but it was still worth the effort of photographing.

Having done it on inappropriate bark I tried a sawn plank, but then, having found out about its habits I thought I'd try an image with some poultry food and spilt grain - how poncy can you get? Placed near this it immediately started egg-laying, and the close-up shows it at work, but does no justice to the mobility of its egg-laying apparatus.

The upshot is that I have a plastic sweety jar containing psome poultry food and corn plus almost certainly some Small Tabby eggs. If anyone fancies trying to rear them you are welcome to the container and some bonus food as well. If no one shouts up by tomorrow I'll let them take their chance among the sweepings on the floor of my shed, as I know I won't give them the care and attention they'd need.
Ovipositing Large Tabby
Ovipositing Large Tabby
Large Tabby
Large Tabby