Barred Red - NFG!

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Barred Red - NFG!

Post by SteveH »

Morning folks,

as I sat down to do the trap this morning, the first thing I noticed was a 'lined' moth sat on one of the traps' down-slopes - however the angle was against me and I thought it was going to be just a Brown Silver Lines - I chose to pot it up and once I saw it properly was more than taken aback! Overall green coloured but with two distinct cross-lines bordering a darker green central band! Initial thoughts "some form of probably new for the garden emerald species". Secured in it pot I set it aside and continued...

On lifting the light from the trap, the first moth I clapped eyes on was a Large Emerald! This was just our 5th ever and the first since 2007 - have to say I'd though it was another species we would never get in the garden again but that's how wrong I can be!

In total there were 126 moths of 59 species, with 13 NFY taking the year list to 214 and the list for June alone to an astonishing (for us) 201! In among the firsts were Nutmeg, Golden-rod and Currant Pugs, Light Arches, Archips podana and Zeiraphera iscertana.

Cheers,
Steve