Can't Sleep at Night?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Can't Sleep at Night?

Post by melbellingham »

Morning,

What do you do when you can’t sleep at night? Well I went down and spent 20 mins potting up moths sitting on the wall and around the trap, before it switched off at 3:00am. It proved very worthwhile, as I would probably have missed most of these.

It wasn’t too bad in the trap either, with 203 moths of 67 species, a nightly total and species count I haven’t achieved for a few years.

NFY included Barred Straw, Plain Golden Y, Yellow-tail, Small Fan-footed Wave, True Lover’s Knot, Hypsopygia glaucinalis, Argyresthia bonnetella, Acleris forsskaleana, 3 micro’s I’m struggling to ID and Anania perlucidalis NFG.

Bird-cherry Ermine Yponomeuta evonymella was the most numerous species with a count of 48, followed by Riband Wave on 26.

Other highlights in the last couple of days were Large Emerald NFG, Eupocilea angustana NFG, 2 Blackneck and Small Dotted Buff, a species I have only recorded once before in my garden.

NB. Huw and I recorded Anania perlucidalis at Burton Mere Wetlands recently, when we had at least 6 and probably a few more, as the moths were so numerous it was difficult to count them all.

Mel.