Obsure Wainscot nfg

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
wirralbirder

Obsure Wainscot nfg

Post by wirralbirder »

Obscure Wainscot garden Jul 04th 2018 P1100750.jpg
Hi all
Would like confirmation on this Obscure Wainscot as it would be a garden first.Taken July 04th 2018 Upton-Wirral.
I first recorded it in 2010 at Red Rocks which isn't far as the crow flies.
Cheers Harry
stevehind

Re: Obsure Wainscot nfg

Post by stevehind »

Hi Harry

The Red Rocks moth was probably also the last one I've seen. Looks OK to me

Regards
Steve
wirralbirder

Post by wirralbirder »

Hi Steve
I looked on species search site for Obscure Wainscot using its former and new scientific names and got nil records.I know this to be wrong (Red Rocks 2010 example) so what is happening.
Thanks for the confirmation,always like to be sure before adding ne records for garden.
Cheers Harry
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Both Huw and I had 2 each at Burton Mere Wetlands on 27/6/2018.

Other records have come from there in the past.

Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Harry
A copy of the county moth database is sent to rECOrd annually at the same time one is sent to BC for the NMRS but this data is not yet available by searching the rECOrd Data Search Facility, so you are probably best referring to the Species List section of Cheshire Moth Charts http://www.cheshiremothcharts.com/recor ... lrecords=1
This data is derived from a working copy of the county database, so is far from complete and does contain numerous errors but does show your Red Rocks record, as well as another 58 county records for Obscure Wainscot.
Steve Holmes and I are currently working with the Tanyptera Trust to produce tetrad maps for each species but this has been delayed now that we are well into the moth recording season. Once these maps are online, they will give you a good idea of species distributions in the county.
Regards
Steve
wirralbirder

Post by wirralbirder »

Hi Steve
Thanks. I would just like to add that Mapmate shows 39 records .These do include the three records that I have been involved in.
I have been pushed in finding time to id some of my recent garden moth photos but have come across an earlier record of Obscure Wainscot taken in the garden this year.I'll post it on the forum later oday or tomorrow.
Cheers Harry