Agg. Ado

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
GasMacc1

Agg. Ado

Post by GasMacc1 »

Agg. Ado:

Over the last few weeks I find myself increasingly writing “agg.” in the moth records.

The initial excitement of narrowing your ID search down to just a couple of possible species turns to mild frustration when the books don’t give enough information to be able to separate one from the other.

It’s even more frustrating when the book does tell you how to tell the species apart, but you’ve neglected to photograph (or even look at) the critical, subtle feature !

It seems a pity not to be able to get a confident ID to species level.

Is there any way (from these photos) to determine whether these three specimens are Uncertain or Rustic (assuming they’re not something altogether different) ? Grateful for any views on why they are one or the other. (Forewing length of all three is about 14mm).

Specimen 1
Specimen 1
Specimen 2
Specimen 2
Specimen 3
Specimen 3
[/color]
stevehind

Re: Agg. Ado

Post by stevehind »

Have a look at the Northumberland Moth Website which has a number of examples of both: http://www.northumberlandmoths.org.uk/p ... RUSTIC.pdf

Not sure where I found this photo but it might help:

Uncertain / Rustic
Uncertain / Rustic
Regards,
Steve

[/color]
GasMacc1

Post by GasMacc1 »

Thanks Steve. Very helpful.

My first specimen photo seems to show quite a strong median cross-line, pointing towards Uncertain, I suppose. I think I'll call the other two "agg." !

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I'd think they are all Uncertains .....

Cheers,
Steve

GasMacc1

Post by GasMacc1 »

SteveH wrote:I'd think they are all Uncertains .....

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve! Sorry for the delayed response!! Just doing an early year-end round-up of my records and have only just seen your post!!!