Normandy Mothing

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Greg

Normandy Mothing

Post by Greg »

Afternoon All

I've just arrived back from a two week holiday in rural Normandy France. The traps were out most nights.
It wasn't as hot as you've had it in the UK, but still sunny everyday in the mid 20's.
It was a real eye opener to what it must have been like in the UK 50 or 60 years ago with plenty
of rough meadows and hedgerows teeming with insect life. Of course the French don't have the
same congestion pressures as we have on our land. I'm told that the farmers there have a
much more tolerant care for their wildlife and environment than ours do.
Consequently the garden of the cottage we stayed in was also full of wildlife. Purple Emperor, White Admiral,
Silver-washed Fritillary butterflies, Purring Turtle Doves were some of the daytime highlights. At night the traps
were always full with 30 plus brand new species for me, some of which used to be relatively common in the UK,
but not anymore, others visiting our shores from time to time as migrants.
I suppose we should be grateful for the moths that we do have left in our country and do our bit
to support those who are doing their best to protect them.
I took many photos of the moths I caught and have attached some of my favourites (see below).

Greg
Attachments
Delicate
Delicate
Lunar-spotted Pinion
Lunar-spotted Pinion
Goat Moth
Goat Moth
Lappet
Lappet
Three-humped Prominent
Three-humped Prominent
Marsh Dagger
Marsh Dagger
L-album Wainscot
L-album Wainscot
Maple Prominent
Maple Prominent
Pine Hawkmoth
Pine Hawkmoth
Latin
Latin
CliveJ

Re: Normandy Mothing

Post by CliveJ »

Looks as though you had a productive visit. all these would be on my wish list. Particularly liked the Lappet image.

Cheers

Clive