White-line Dart

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Greg

White-line Dart

Post by Greg »

White-line Dart:

Morning All,

A nice fresh White-line Dart (Euxoa tritici) was the pick of the bunch at Bickerton Hill last night. We were hoping for a possible Bleached Pug which has historical records in the area. But, was told by the National Trust warden that the food
plant, Golden Rod, was probably pulled up over the last few years mistaken for Ragwort, as there has only been
one or two plants seen recently.

Greg

Attachments
White-line Dart (Euxoa tritici)
White-line Dart (Euxoa tritici)
melbellingham

Re: White-line Dart

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg,

Nice moth, pity about the suspected loss of Bleached Pug.

Your post highlights an all too common occurrence when management work is being carried out. Many volunteers and even contractors cannot positively identify plants that should or should not be trimmed or pulled. If Ragwort is the target and something is yellow, pull it up. If paths are being opened up or cleared, cut anything that is green. I once witnessed a contractor at Llanymynech Rocks strimming the grass along the edge of a path. Unfortunately, Greater Butterfly Orchids and many other wild flowers were also being trashed at the same time.

Ragwort is an emotive topic though. Some think that it should be eradicated, others like me feel that it is important for many insects that use it, for nectar and even as a larval foodplant.

If anyone is interested in reading about Ragwort, make yourself a drink, and read the ‘facts' about Ragwort at the link below.

http://www.ragwortfacts.com/ragwort-myths.html

Mel.

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Mel,

The Ragwort issue made me smile.

Cheshire West went on an eradication mission a few years back and to a degree managed to get rid of it from most roadside and motorway verges - probably along with a number of other yellow flowering plants. Of course they blitzed the area for a year, forgetting that seeds were already set in the ground, rendering their efforts a total waste of time 12 months later. Ragwort is again very much in evidence all over the place and long may it continue to be so.

Their reasons behind the initiative were I think that animals eating Ragwort can have tummy upsets and that wasn't acceptable - though just how many sheep, horses, cattle and the like actually roam freely along our road network remains a mystery. I've always thought that it was the responsibility of the animal / land owners to do their own clean ups if they wanted to and then the Councils could spend our taxes on more relevant things ...... like clearing up the crap Joe public hurl from their cars as they speed past the Ragwort - or put some effort into catching the bastards who dump sofas and kitchen appliances all over the countryside ...... anywhere but at designated recycling venues it seems.

As an aside, Ragwort is a very common species on Gowy Meadows and there are cattle and sheep there too ..... they don't eat it, they munch around it. :-) Up to yet there are no sofas or kitchen appliances .....

Cheers,
Steve

Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel,

As you recommended I've just finished reading the report "COMMON MYTHS ABOUT RAGWORT". I've printed it off to take to Fenn's and Whixall on Thursday as it is a volunteering day.

One of the tasks for the day is, you've guessed it, RAGWORT PULLING, it's becoming obsessive.

Greg

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

The ridiculous thing is that animals do NOT eat Ragwort when it is growing - hence why Steve has seen cattle and sheep on Gowy Meadows along with the Ragwort. The problem arises when land-owners/animal owners cut hay for winter feeding and cut Ragwort along with the grasses and other plants (inc. Ragwort) instead of avoiding the Ragwort or removing it from the hay. When it is dried the animals do not recognise it mixed in with the other plants and do eat it - when dry it is still toxic and hence can cause problems. The issue is NOT the Ragwort but the people cutting the hay !!

Steve

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

..... quite right Steve and I hear that the dried Ragwort is actually more harmful then the growing plants.

Cheers,
Steve