Pikelow Farm, Marton

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Pikelow Farm, Marton

Post by stevehind »

Pikelow Farm, Marton:

Ran three traps at Pikelow Farm, Marton on 25/08/2017 and recorded 67 species from over 300 moths.

Re-visited the site again on 19/06/2018. This time with a couple more actinic Heath traps and managed 139 species from 900+ moths.

Pikelow Farm is in the Congleton 10km square, SJ86, which has had poor coverage in the past. The session produced 13 new species for that square: Opostega salaciella; Scythropia crataegella ; Coleophora flavipennella; Coleophora coracipennella; Coleophora deauratella; Coleophora glaucicolella; Aleimma loeflingiana; Epinotia cruciana; Phycita roborella; Phycitodes binaevella; Ephestia unicolorella; Figure of Eighty and Grey Arches. I was also pleased to catch 4 Beautiful Carpets in one of the actinic traps in the woodland. 8 Small Yellow Wave, mainly from a trap under Alder, as well as Scallop Shell and 3 Blotched Emerald.

I decided not to count all the moths on my next trip, 12/07/2018 and just produce individual species lists for each trap, which was a good decision, as it would probably have taken all day. The list for the night was an impressive 185 species, with the best trap holding 115 species. Another 15 species were added to the SJ86 square: Crassa unitella; Anacampsis blattariella; Coleophora lutipennella; Elachista albidella; Mompha propinquella; Eudemis profundana; Lobesia abscisana; Epinotia brunnichana; Achroia grisella; Pyrausta purpuralis; Eudonia pallida; Agriphila selasella; Cataclysta lemnata; August Thorn and Double Lobed. Also of interest were Eulamprotes atrella; Pandemis cinnamomeana; Epinotia solandriana; Rhyacionia pinicolana; Calamotropha paludella; Catoptria falsella; Scalloped Hook-tip – with 13 in one Heath trap; Blue-bordered Carpet; Plain Pug; 2 Marsh Oblique-barred; 5 Small Rufous; 3 Olive; 18 Suspected and a Southern Wainscot.

I’ve added a few photos from this last session

Regards,
Steve

Anacampsis blattariella - 12/07/2018
Anacampsis blattariella - 12/07/2018
Pyrausta purpuralis - 12/07/2018
Pyrausta purpuralis - 12/07/2018
Lesser Wax Moth (Achroia grisella) - 12/07/2018
Lesser Wax Moth (Achroia grisella) - 12/07/2018
Plain Pug (Eupithecia simpliciata) -12/07/2018
Plain Pug (Eupithecia simpliciata) -12/07/2018
Southern Wainscot (Mythimna straminea)
Southern Wainscot (Mythimna straminea)
Marsh Oblique-barred (Hypenodes humidalis) - 12/07/2018
Marsh Oblique-barred (Hypenodes humidalis) - 12/07/2018
[/color]
stevehind

Re: Pikelow Farm, Marton

Post by stevehind »

Returned to Pikelow Farm for another session on 26th July. Following a hot and humid day, the risk of thunderstorms having passed, the skies cleared and the temperature had dropped considerably by dawn. There was an almost full moon overnight.

With such an early season, many of the regular species we usually find in late July were already over and it felt like we were well into the August lull. Tim Ward was able to join me in the morning and between us we managed 132 species from the six traps, not as many as last time but still an impressive count and these included another nine new 10km square records for SJ86 as follows: Tinea pellionella; Plutella porrectella; Batrachedra praeangusta; Aethes smeathmanniana; 4 Cochylis dubitana; Notocelia roborana; Pammene regiana; Lime-speck Pug and Yellow-barred Brindle.

Regards
Steve