BioBlitz Assistance Request - Help

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveMcBill

BioBlitz Assistance Request - Help

Post by SteveMcBill »

BioBlitz Assistance Request:

Hi All,

I have managed to set-up a BioBlitz at Greenacres, Blindfoot Road, Rainford, St Helens (SJ46529749) for the 30th & 31st August 2018 and was wondering if any of you would be able to make it - there will be a moth-trapping event on Thursday 30th August and I am in dire need for moth-trappers to attend along with their traps and generators - the moths being looked at and released on the Friday morning.

The daytime part of the BioBlitz will be on the Friday (31st August) and all entomologists/naturalists are welcomed to find what they can in the 65 acres of grounds.

The site has not been opened up to the public for recording before and Emma's Wood on the North of the site has never been open to the public at all.

The event can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ActiveN ... on_generic

If you can make the event on either (or both) sessions, or plan to come to either, then could I possibly ask you to register at the following link so that we can keep an eye on numbers attending etc.: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/rainford ... ailordconf

All are welcome; we need as much experience as we can muster in order to attempt to find as many species as possible. One of the woods (Emmas Wood) has never been opened to the public before. Many thanks and hope to see you there.

Hope you can make it - it would be good to see you and we really do need your expertise and traps/generators. Here is hoping at least some of you can help.

Cheers and take care.
Steve

PaulHopkins

Re: BioBlitz Assistance Request - Help

Post by PaulHopkins »

I'd be up for this. I don't have a generator though, can anyone recommend a cheap but OK one ?

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited by PaulHopkins on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Sorry Paul but I'm afraid I am years behind on generators and their cost - I bought my Honda EX650 over 30 years ago.

Hopefully one of the other Forum members can provide you with the information you need.

You would be very welcome at the BioBlitz event - on either or both of the sessions (Moth-trapping on the 30th August; full BioBlitz on the 31st August).

Cheers and thanks.
Steve

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

I don't know any specifics, but I do know from camping that loads of people seem to have little generators now for their caravans - which can be really annoying ! However, this has resulted in lots more being available - see this https://www.generators-direct.co.uk/camping-and-caravan - noise will be the big factor I guess - the £140 Clarke one is 64dba at 7m whereas the £800 Honda is 52dba - quite a lot when you remember the dba scale is logarithmic.

Steve

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Paul,

I have had a meeting with the woodland manager (Ian Evans) at Greenacres this morning (10/08/2018) along with Ben Deed from BioBank and Gary Hedges (Tanyptera Project) and Ian can provide a power outlet near to Emmas Wood for the evening of the 30th August. As a consequence, should anyone wish to run a trap or two from the power outlet (i.e. no generator) then it will be possible.

If anyone else would like to come and assist with mothing on the night please do get in touch with me and sign-up at: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/rainford ... ailordconf - this ensures we are covered with insurance.

Cheers, thanks and we hope to see you there !!!
Steve

PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

That simplifies things - thanks Steve !
I’ve signed up now.

Paul

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Excellent news Paul - see you there around 7 to 8pm on the 30th August then !!!

Steve

PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

Hi Steve

I've tried to send you a PM about tonight but I now see that it's in my "out box" rather than my "sent messages", so you might not have received it... Not sure how to rectify this, can you check if you can see it? If not drop me an email at paul dot hopkins at gmail dot com and I'll copy my message as a reply.

Cheers
Paul