Re-acquainted with an old favourite - plus O. sparganella

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Re-acquainted with an old favourite - plus O. sparganella

Post by SteveH »

Morning folks,

I hosted a Moth training day for Cheshire Wildlife Trust over Friday/Saturday last weekend at their Holly Bank House property and thereafter on the Gowy Meadows Reserve and it was really nice to trap somewhere new - and to stay out with the trap for a few hours of an evening, potting up the stuff that was coming in.

The old favourite was Ypsolopha dentella, which we got in the garden up to 2008, at which time the neighbour uprooted his Honeysuckle plants. Thus it was a very pleasant surprise to find one in the trap when decanting to the audience on Saturday morning. The rest of the catch was highlighted by several Iron Prominents, Sallow, Drinker, Small Rufous, Bucculatrix thoracella, Agapeta zoegana and Anania perlucidalis.

Having done the trap and given a slide presentation on moths and moth trapping, we headed out to look for further species, which included: Stigmella nylandriella, Stigmella sakhalinella and Leucoptera malifoliella - some of the latter mines being on Cockspur Thorn. Ultimately the total was 67 species, which was better than I'd anticipated.

On returning home from the event I had a few moths to look at that I'd had no time to ID before leaving and among them was Orthotelia sparganella - new for the garden and this morning, would you believe it, Ypsolopha dentella ( and no, I didn't bring it home with me! :-) ).

Cheers,
Steve