A Poor Night, but was it?.....

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

A Poor Night, but was it?.....

Post by melbellingham »

As I emptied last night's trap (09/08/2018) of it's 41 moths of 13 species, I was not too impressed.

It was early morning and the light was not good, so I potted an indistinct looking moth to ID later. I popped it into the fridge and forgot about it.

Having just looked at the moth, the night might not have been so bad after all, as if I am correct, I've recorded Vine's Rustic NFG.

It is slightly darker than the individuals I have seen in Dorset and Scilly, but size, shape and whitish underwing look about right.
Vine's Rustic?? - 09/08/2018
Vine's Rustic?? - 09/08/2018
Mel.
SteveH

Re: A Poor Night, but was it?.....

Post by SteveH »

Hi Mel,

yes, that looks OK to me for Vine's - I had my first for the garden last week too so it looks to be expanding its range within the county quite quickly.

I did a lot less well than you did - just a Broad-barred White to add to the year list from just 25 species trapped. It did rain overnight but I've no idea how much...

Cheers,
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that.

Last night (10/09/2018) my tally was even less. The temperature overnight dropped to 9C and I only recorded 19 moths of 9 species. I can't even rely on Large YU to lift the numbers this year. Very low numbers.

Mel.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Mel,

yes indeed, blunderwings do seem to be in the dirt this year and I've hardly had a Lesser Yellow either come to mention it.

Cheers,
Steve