Query Wax Moth

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
CliveJ

Query Wax Moth

Post by CliveJ »

Had this micro in my garden trap last night. The nearest I can come to is Wax Moth but NBN Atlas shows very few local records. Confirmation / correction welcome.

Cheers

Clive
Possible Wax Moth
Possible Wax Moth
andrewjcharlton

Re: Query Wax Moth

Post by andrewjcharlton »

Good Morning Clive,

since none of our experts have commented on your post let me share this.
'Wax Moth' is regarded as a major pest by local beekeepers, so it is indeed strange that it is recorded in Cheshire so rarely.

I've been running up to 10 beehives in my apiary for the last six summers and I had never seen the moth until July this year. I've attached the pictures of it. At least mine was found inside one of my hives which give a head start on the ID!
I think the overall appearance of your moth looks ok for Wax Moth though the markings are not as clear as those shown in the Field Guide.

I'll be interested to see if any of our more experienced contributors disagree with this.

Andrew
Attachments
Wax Moth
Wax Moth
Wax Moth
Wax Moth
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Clive,

looks OK to me.

The pre-publication e-atlas distribution Map for the species is below...
Wax Moth records in VC58
Wax Moth records in VC58
Cheers,
Steve
CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

thanks both

I had thought markings were not as distinct as they could be, but can't make it fit anything else at all. I don't keep bees and don't know where the nearest hives are, nor of any local wild colonies of honey bee.

The moth appears well camouflaged among twigs and rested throughout the day clasping a twig, but I have no idea how much time they spend outside hives - clearly some since one was in my trap.

Clive
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

I had Wax Moth in the garden for the first time this year.
Wax Moth - Higher Poynton - 27/7/2018
Wax Moth - Higher Poynton - 27/7/2018
Our records and distribution map can only reflect those records we receive, so although it is regarded as a major pest by local beekeepers, none of them appear to have ever passed on their records. It may be one of those species which rarely comes to light, so is rarely seen by moth recorders, hence the lack of records.

Regards
Steve