Late Summer moths

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Greg

Late Summer moths

Post by Greg »

Morning All

A warm muggy night didn't produce the catch I'd hoped for. The numbers were quite low but three late summer
beauties put in an appearance (pics below).
Very disappointing at Norley Moss 6 Hornets decided to invade my traps so I packed up early. They obviously
also hunt at night.

Greg
Attachments
Rosy Rustic
Rosy Rustic
Centre-barred Sallow
Centre-barred Sallow
Sallow
Sallow
CliveJ

Re: Late Summer moths

Post by CliveJ »

A nice trio - none of which I've seen this year as yet.

Clive
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg,

Yes, Hornets definitely fly and hunt at night.

Huw and I ran 2 traps recently (28/07/2018) at the local RSPB Burton Mere Wetlands Reserve, for their ‘Big Sleep Out’ event. We left the traps overnight, but didn’t stay with them, but Hornets visited almost as soon as the traps were switched on. I tried removing them before we left, but next morning there were Hornets in both traps and several moths had been predated. Wings were found minus the bodies.

Once when we were trapping in Wyre Forest, with the local moth group, we were visited by Hornets, which we were told happens quite often.

The advice we received was to either turn off the trap for a while, or if the Hornets prove persistent, probably because you could be near a nest, the only thing to do is move the trap.

Mel.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I've a friend who traps in Berkshire and there's a time around now when he just can't trap as the light can bring in anything up to 30 hornets and every moth ends up decapitated...

Cheers,
Steve