More Micro help please!

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
andrewjcharlton

More Micro help please!

Post by andrewjcharlton »

I find the Scoparia/Eudonia group very confusing and so don't usually record them.
I'm having another go:

1. Is this E.truncicolella?

2. E. mercurella?

The were lots of tiny micros in the trap this morning. Here are two that are distintively marked but which I can't see in Sterling&Parsons.

3 + 4. This one is 6mm long

5. This one it only 3mm long.

6. I'm assuming this is female Small China Mark, but the hindwing looks much more patterned than photos I've seen.

Help gratefully received as always.

Thank you,
Andrew
Attachments
DSCN6602a.JPG (75.43 KiB) Viewed 8049 times
johnK

Re: More Micro help please!

Post by johnK »

Hi Andrew,

I would agree with you that No.1 is a classic E. truncicolella. No.2 is undoubtedly strange at first glance but does not fit E. mercurella because the second line does not a form a gentle curve nor meet the dorsum at close to right-angles. Put your two images side by side and you will notice that there are similarities. The first line on both runs a rather zig-zag course across the forewing with the peaks and lows in a similar position (the peaks also too tall for mercurella).

Notice the sub-terminal line is extensively white, broadest in the middle and has very bold, thick black dashes also tallest in the middle area. This area is very similar on both moths, but unlike other species. I would suggest No 2 is an odd form of E. truncicolella.

John
andrewjcharlton

Post by andrewjcharlton »

John, thank you so much for your most helpful pointers.
Hopefully one day I'll get the hang of these!

Andrew
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Andrew

3 & 4 is Mompha langiella
5 looks like one of the Stigmella group. I can't see from your photo but it should have the distinctive eyecaps of the Nepticulidae
6 is a female Small China-mark Cataclysta lemnata, with the row of pearls on the hindwing

Regards
Steve