An Excellent October Trap

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

An Excellent October Trap

Post by melbellingham »

Just a couple of days or so ago, I was hopeful of recording my 200th garden macro species for the year (my previous highest total), and with several regular late autumn /winter moths still to appear, I was hopeful of succeeding.

Last night (15/10/2018) in a catch of 38 moths of 19 species, I not only reached the 200 mark, but exceeded it by two.

Large Wainscot Rhizedra lutosa, Juniper Carpet Thera juniperata and Grey Pine Carpet Thera obeliscata were all NFY.
Garden Records 15/10/2018
Garden Records 15/10/2018
Mel.
melbellingham

Re: An Excellent October Trap

Post by melbellingham »

Me again,

In 2016 Cypress Carpet was recorded ‘New to Cheshire’, and I remember expressing my doubts to the identification. I had seen many Cypress Carpets on my visits to the Isles of Scilly, and I was not convinced, as I thought it was Juniper Carpet.

I also remember stating that I would examine Juniper Carpets more thoroughly, as if I had caught the Cheshire moth, I would have missed it.

Having reported that I caught Juniper Carpet last night, I have now photographed it (see image below), and having now studied my moth, to me it looks similar to the 2016 specimen.

I would be interested in members comments. Am I imagining more than I can see?
Juniper Carpet?? - SJ381751 - 15/10/2018
Juniper Carpet?? - SJ381751 - 15/10/2018
Mel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel

I recon you have a Cypress Carpet there.
Cross band is indistinct and the extra dark brown dashes near forewing tip all point to the above.
A clearer specimen than 2016 too.
Another species slowly moving north.

Regards
Greg
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Mel

Have a look at this Juniper Carpet from last night.
Juniper Carpet - 16/10/2018
Juniper Carpet - 16/10/2018
There are just the two black dashes near the apex. Your moth has an extra two, more prominent, black dashes inwards of these, which are present on Cypress Carpet only.

Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Greg and Steve,

The features you have mentioned, are the same features that got me thinking it was Cypress Carpet. What you can't see on my photo are the underwings, which appear duller than those of Juniper Carpet, but I wasn't sure whether they were dark enough.

Doubt arose because the specimens I have seen on the Isles of Scilly were more heavily marked, similar to the image I posted back in 2016. I presumed that this could not be a regional variation, as I assume the species has not been established in the UK long enough to change.

Thanks for your comments, I will record it as Cypress Carpet Thera cupressata.

Mel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel

As a matter of interest I posted your photo on the Flying tonight moth facebook site.
I had one reply, confirming Cypress Carpet.

Regards
Greg
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg,

I also emailed 2 very experienced recorders with a copy of my image. One we both know, Dave G, and the other is the resident recorder on St. Mary's, IOS, who I got to know very well on my October visits. I can imagine that both will have seen hundreds of individuals over the years that the moth has been established there.

Neither had any doubts about the ID and both confirmed Cypress Carpet, even though my friend on St. Mary's is not familiar with Juniper Carpet.

Mel.