Memories of 2018, and Trips to Ireland.....

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Memories of 2018, and Trips to Ireland.....

Post by melbellingham »

In my garden at least, recent totals have reduced considerably, even though the overnight temperatures remain at what I would consider reasonable.

At 11:00pm last night (21/10/2018) for instance, the temperature was 11C and I could only find 3 moths when checking the trap. 2 x Figure of Eight and 1 Red-green Carpet.

It was rather windy, and with the prospect of very few moths, I replaced my 125W MV lamp with a 20W Compact actinic lamp, rather than just put the trap away. At 7:00am this morning the temperature was 8.6C, and I found 3 extra moths. 1 each of November agg, Eudonia angustea and Tachystola acroxantha.

It will soon be down to memories of what has been my best year ever in the garden.

However, away from the garden I have seen some nice moths, some of which are ‘rare’, and do not occur in Cheshire. Some were new species, and not just for me.

It now seems like a good time to show a few images. More to follow………

Ireland June (7th – 17th) – with 2 friends, Barry and Huw both members of this forum, we made our first of 2 visits. We started in the SE corner near Cork for 2 nights, with 3 target species. We had them all on the first night.
Bordered Gothic - 07/06/2018 - Ballycotton, Ireland
Bordered Gothic - 07/06/2018 - Ballycotton, Ireland
Barrett's Marbled Coronet - 07/06/2018 - Ballycotton, Ireland
Barrett's Marbled Coronet - 07/06/2018 - Ballycotton, Ireland
The Grey - 07/06/2018 - Ballycotton, Ireland
The Grey - 07/06/2018 - Ballycotton, Ireland
Mel.
Last edited by melbellingham on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Re: Memories of 2018, and Trips Away.....

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel

Thanks for posting these stunning moths. To see these more unusual moths it's necessary
to plan your holidays to some of the more remote areas of the country, not forgetting your traps of course.
I'm hoping to track down The Grey moth on The Isle of Mull next summer.
I've not had a chance to evaluate this years mothing season as yet, but it seems that it's been very mixed,
with good numbers of some and very few,if any of other regulars species. I'll post my findings at the end
of the year.
In the meantime I'm looking forward to seeing your next batch of stunners.

Regards
Greg
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg,

The site we trapped for Grey is a well known site, and is right on the coast. My trap was set withing 20m of the sea. Best of luck on Mull.

At this site was also had Tawny Shears Hadena perplexa f. capsophila (Pod Lover).
Tawny Shears Hadena perplexa f. capsophila
Tawny Shears Hadena perplexa f. capsophila
On our second night in the area, we took the decision to trap in a small plantation, as it was easier to set up there, and less perilous to pack up when still dark. This produced 36 species of moths usually recorded at home plus Treble Lines. This latter moth is in Cheshire, but absent from my garden.

From here we moved to the SW and set up for 2 nights at Blackstone Bridge in the district of Glencar. This is where we hoped to trap White Prominent Leucodonta bicoloria, and what was for me my main target of the trip. The owners of our B&B also owned 3 areas of woodland known to have WP's, so it seemed the place to be.

The first night we set up 5 traps (3 MV's and 2 actinics) and we recorded 40 White Prominents, but that was only what were in or near the traps. We probably missed a few sitting about on vegetation, but there were WP’s in every trap. 83 species were recorded between the 5 traps, not all rare, but very nice to see.
White Prominent - Blackstone Bridge
White Prominent - Blackstone Bridge
Satin Lutestring - Blackstone Bridge
Satin Lutestring - Blackstone Bridge
Beautiful Brocade - Blackstone Bridge
Beautiful Brocade - Blackstone Bridge
Scallop Shell - Blackstone Bridge
Scallop Shell - Blackstone Bridge
I know the Scallop Shell is not rare, but I can't help showing what is one of my favourite moths.

More to Follow........

Mel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel

It looks like you had a very successful trip. The White Prominent is an absolute stunner. From what you say there
is a decent population in that area. It's amazing that they were only recently discovered after almost eighty year absence in the British Isles.
I must say that after the Kentish Glory the White Prominent is my next must see species.
A very nice picture too.
Thanks for sharing.

Greg
melbellingham

Re: Memories of 2018, and Trips to Ireland.....

Post by melbellingham »

Several other species on our first night at Blackstone Bridge that are absent or aren't encountered very often in Cheshire, included Peacock Moth Macaria notata, Welsh Wave Venusia cambrica, Small Seraphim Pterapherapteryx sexalata, Lobster Moth Stauropus fagi and Nut-tree Tussock Colocasi9a coryli.
Peacock Moth - Blackstone Bridge
Peacock Moth - Blackstone Bridge
Welsh Wave - Blackstone Bridge
Welsh Wave - Blackstone Bridge
Small Seraphim - Blackstone Bridge
Small Seraphim - Blackstone Bridge
Lobster Moth - Blackstone Bridge
Lobster Moth - Blackstone Bridge
Nut-tree Tussock - Blackstone Bridge
Nut-tree Tussock - Blackstone Bridge
Mel.
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

On our last night in the south, we trapped in a different section of wood. We had access into the wood, but the path was so overgrown that we decided to set up our 5 traps along the fence line in an adjacent field. 55 species were recorded, including another 11 White Prominent.

The last stage of this June visit was to be 5 nights in the Burren National Park. Our B&B has had some very distinguished moth-ers staying there in the past, including the late Bernard Skinner.

Within about 30 minutes of our arrival, we were photographing Transparent Burnet in the garden. We trapped every night in the garden, which has limestone pavement just over the back wall. Apparently some guests never trap away from the garden when staying there, and it isn't hard to understand why. We did trap on several sites including Abbey Hill, Slieve Carron, Mullagh Mor and we did a couple of day searches at Slieve Carron and Cooloorta.
Transparent Burnet - Zygaena purpuralis - mating pair - Villa Maria
Transparent Burnet - Zygaena purpuralis - mating pair - Villa Maria
Transparent Burnet - Zygaena purpuralis - Slieve Carron
Transparent Burnet - Zygaena purpuralis - Slieve Carron
Dew Moth - Setina irrorella - Slieve Carron
Dew Moth - Setina irrorella - Slieve Carron
Northern Rustic - Standfussiana lucernea - Abbey Hill
Northern Rustic - Standfussiana lucernea - Abbey Hill
Pretty Pinion - Perizoma blandiata - Mullagh Mor
Pretty Pinion - Perizoma blandiata - Mullagh Mor
Reddish Light Arches - Apamea sublustris - Abbey Hill
Reddish Light Arches - Apamea sublustris - Abbey Hill
Silver Hook - Deltote uncula - Mullagh Mor
Silver Hook - Deltote uncula - Mullagh Mor
Sweet Gale - Acronicta cinerea - Villa Maria
Sweet Gale - Acronicta cinerea - Villa Maria
Thyme Pug - Eupithecia distinctaria - Slieve Carron
Thyme Pug - Eupithecia distinctaria - Slieve Carron
We also had some very nice micro's, especially on the Burren, but perhaps enough for now.

Mel.
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

What fantastic moths, Mel. I would love to go to the Burren one day.

Looking forward to seeing those micros one cold, mothless day soon!

Cheers
Paul
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Paul,

Yes, well worth a visit, both for the moths and scenery. You will need a good map, if you can find one, we got lost every day.

I've started sorting a few micro images, but just realized that I have omitted one of my new macro's caught in the garden where we we staying.
Chestnut-coloured Carpet - Thera cognata - Villa Maria
Chestnut-coloured Carpet - Thera cognata - Villa Maria
Mel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel

A brilliant set of moths, many of them would have been lifer's for me.
You were a little early for the Burren Green then? I suppose if it was a toss up between
that or the earlier White Prominent you made the right choice in my opinion.

Greg
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg,

Burren Green and Irish Annulet, the other speciality, are on the wing in August, so it definitely needs 2 visits if you want the best moths from June and August.

We went back for a long weekend in the hope of recording those and a few other macro species, but things didn't quite work out as planned. However, I will let you know how we did soon.

However before then I have a few micro's to show. As always with micro's that I post, if anyone thinks we have mis-ID'd any, please let me know. They are in alphabetical order and all were from the Burren, except for Hoary Plume and Hedya atropunctana which were from Blackstone Bridge
Aethes piercei - Villa Maria
Aethes piercei - Villa Maria
Anania fuscalis - Abbey Hill
Anania fuscalis - Abbey Hill
Delplanqueia dilutella - Mullagh Mor
Delplanqueia dilutella - Mullagh Mor
Eana penziana - Abbey Hill
Eana penziana - Abbey Hill
Hedya atropunctana - Blackstone Bridge
Hedya atropunctana - Blackstone Bridge
Hoary Plume - Blackstone Bridge
Hoary Plume - Blackstone Bridge
A few more to follow......

Mel.
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

The last group of micro's, all recorded in the Burren NP.
Anania funebris - White-spotted Sable Moth - Slieve Carron day search
Anania funebris - White-spotted Sable Moth - Slieve Carron day search
Pleurota bicostella - Slieve Carron
Pleurota bicostella - Slieve Carron
Scarce Crimson and Gold - Pyrausta sanguinalis - Slieve Carron day seach
Scarce Crimson and Gold - Pyrausta sanguinalis - Slieve Carron day seach
Scoparia subfusca - Slieve Carron
Scoparia subfusca - Slieve Carron
Syncopacma taeniolella - Abbey Hill
Syncopacma taeniolella - Abbey Hill
Merrifieldia leucodactyla - Thyme Plume - Slieve Carron
Merrifieldia leucodactyla - Thyme Plume - Slieve Carron
Mel.
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

This section will cover our return visit in August, will not be as long, will not have the same number of moths, but a little more background to our trip.

Having decided that we wanted to go to Ireland to twitch (I mean record) a few moths, we contacted a couple of experienced recorders that we knew, and who had been there before. They generously provided us with copies of their own records, which gave us a very good start. We not only knew the moth species they had seen, but also the sites where they had seen them, and suitable dates to consider. The records covered 2000, 2007, 2010 and 2014, and from these records, I drew up a list of species that we wished to see. The list comprised not only species I had not seen before, but also species that I had only seen as retained specimens, as well as species that I had previously seen, but that Barry and/or Huw had not.

The June ‘wish’ list comprised a total of 39 species, and I then prepared a spreadsheet which showed which species were to found on the sites covered. There were nine sites in total, but some species were only found on 1 or 2 sites, while others were to be found on nearly all of the sites. We did not expect to see them all by any means, as we did not have sufficient time to visit many of the sites, but we did know what might be possible.
From the 39 species I had 15 new species comprising 8 macro’s, 7 micro’s and recorded several more that previously had only been retained ‘moths in pots’. Barry and Huw did better than I did.

Before we even started planning, we knew that we would not be able to see everything we would like to see on one visit. Thoughts back in January (when we first started planning), were that we could make a second trip in 2019. However, even before we left Ireland in June, we were thinking of returning in August.

As soon as we had all agreed, and checked ferries and B&B, we decided to go back to the Burren for a long weekend, on what we thought would be suitable dates in August. I did another spreadsheet of August moths. This contained 42 species, far too many for 4 days, but we had several priority species, which we were hoping to see. Anything else would be a bonus. We actually recorded 12 off the list, 8 of which were new for me. In hindsight 4 days was not long enough, and I’m sure we would have seen many more moths, and possibly more new species, by staying a few more days.

The priority species we wished to see were Burren Green, Irish Annulet, Rush Wainscot, Least Minor, Scotch Annulet and Straw Belle. This latter species was to be found on 9 of the 11 sites we had August records from. It was to be our banker, but despite 2 day searches on 2 different sites we failed. It is likely that their flight period had already finished. We also failed to trap Scotch Annulet and never had enough time to visit the sites where Least Minor was known to be.

And now for some moths…….
Agonopterix pallorella - Villa Maria
Agonopterix pallorella - Villa Maria
Cochylis flaviciliana - Villa Maria
Cochylis flaviciliana - Villa Maria
Mecyna asinalis - Villa Maria
Mecyna asinalis - Villa Maria
Pyrausta ostrinalis - Lough Bunny day search
Pyrausta ostrinalis - Lough Bunny day search
Twin-spot Plume - Stenoptilia bipunctidactyla - Cooloorta
Twin-spot Plume - Stenoptilia bipunctidactyla - Cooloorta
Yponomeuta plumbella - Cooloorta
Yponomeuta plumbella - Cooloorta
Barred Rivulet - Perizoma bifaciata - Cooloorta
Barred Rivulet - Perizoma bifaciata - Cooloorta
Burren Green - Calamia tridens - Cooloorta
Burren Green - Calamia tridens - Cooloorta
Heath Rivulet - Perizoma minorata - Abbey Hill
Heath Rivulet - Perizoma minorata - Abbey Hill
Four more macro's to add, but I've just hit a snag. For some reason I cannot add more images. Have I reached a maximimum perhaps? Will try later.

Mel.
Last edited by melbellingham on Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

I had to add the last four images as a reply, rather than an edit, but all seems OK.
Irish Annulet - Gnophos dumentata - Cooloorta
Irish Annulet - Gnophos dumentata - Cooloorta
Pimpernel Pug - Eupithecia pimpinellata - Abbey Hill
Pimpernel Pug - Eupithecia pimpinellata - Abbey Hill
Rush Wainscot - Globia algae - Cooloorta
Rush Wainscot - Globia algae - Cooloorta
Striped Twin-spot Carpet - Coenotephria salicata - Villa Maria
Striped Twin-spot Carpet - Coenotephria salicata - Villa Maria
Burren Green in the garden of Villa Maria
Burren Green in the garden of Villa Maria
We did have a few species that were passed their best, or my images were not good enough, such as Bordered Grey and Shaded Pug, but a trip to Ireland is well worth the effort.

I would love to go again.

Mel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel

Thanks again for sharing those stunning moths. The Burren Green is a corker.
It shows that a little forward planning and research pays off.
You've certainly fired up my enthusiasm for next year. I think a holiday in Ireland
is on the cards in the near future.

Regards
Greg
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for that. I can assure you that if you do go, you will definitely enjoy it.

You may or may not know that to record moths in Ireland you need a licence, and to record in the Burren NP you need their licence also. People do go without them, but they are easy to obtain and free of charge. When I applied for the Ireland licence, I was in contact with a chap from the Irish National Parks and Wildlife Service, and I actually bumped into him when I started talking to a group of lepidopterists we met at Blackstone Bridge. He was leading a field trip. He also remembered me from my application some months earlier.

Contact me if you need information. I can let you have my records and the spreadsheets I produced showing sites and moth species, but have been asked not to pass on the other spreadsheets we were able to get our hands on, without prior permission from the owners.

Mel.
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

I had previously stated that I had no suitable images of Shaded Pug, but Huw has been able to supply one. Also added is Marbled White Spot.

I have recorded this species in a few different counties, but have only seen it once in Cheshire as it is not that common.
Shaded Pug - Villa Maria - 14/06/2018
Shaded Pug - Villa Maria - 14/06/2018
Marbled White Spot - Blackstone Bridge - 09/06/2018
Marbled White Spot - Blackstone Bridge - 09/06/2018
Mel.